by qucharski Contributor
Contributor

Galaxy S8 Oreo rolling out!

Hi, 

Samsung is already rolling Oreo for unbranded phones in Germany. We are still on November patch so like 3 behind everyone else. When EE is going to release those updates. We are so behind and this threaten our security!

17 REPLIES 17
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Galaxy S8 Oreo rolling out!

You answered your own question.

It' rolling out in Germany. We are in the UK.

Samsung hasn't released it in UK so no network has either.

There is no threat to your security on the November patch.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10 Beta)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Apart from Spectre and Meltdown, but hey!

https://developer.arm.com/support/security-update

As the Exynos processor in the S8 is A73 based, it'll likely have the same issues.

The latest Google security updates do fix it, but not the November ones.

So yes, it'll be nice to at least have the Google security updates, if not Oreo if it's not 100% ready yet for UK carriers. 

by
EE Employee

Hi All,

We at EE want to ensure that these updates are released to customers in a timely manner and that the customer experience is at an acceptable level.

We have no reason to unnecessarily withhold or delay any software or security updates.

Many thanks,

Lee

by swilly_mdhc
Explorer

Level 1: Joiner
CraigR

From 02 forum - I haven't seen it yet ... Re: Samsung S8 Oreo update

Now rolling out to EE customers in the UK. O2 lagging behind EE, that's not a good look.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

That's strange and unfounded considering Samsung have stopped the rollout because of problems.

See here: https://www.gsmarena.com/heres_why_samsung_stopped_the_oreo_update_for_the_galaxy_s8-news-29645.php

Nobody is getting Oreo for now until this is sorted. Expect a new build before EE has to go through their approval process, again!

by swilly_mdhc
Explorer

Thanks

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@swilly_mdhcwrote:

Level 1: Joiner
CraigR

From 02 forum - I haven't seen it yet ... Re: Samsung S8 Oreo update

Now rolling out to EE customers in the UK. O2 lagging behind EE, that's not a good look.

I doubt this is acrually true.

As @StopIt has mentioned. The roll out has been halted due to issues with the OTA. 

People in Malaysia have had the update fail on install eventually bricking the phone and only way of it being fixed is flashing the device.

Until this has been sorted Samsung has scrapped the roll out.

Sam Mobile has even removed the Oreo firmware from their databases as a precaution. 

Highlighted
by EColeridge Investigator
Investigator

Lee, 

The last update from EE was the November security update applied in January. 

Since then Samsung have released three further updates, Feb Security Update, Mar Security Update and 8.0 Oreo update.

None of the main UK carriers have released any of these updates, which would point to an issue between the carrier's and Samsung.

As you say, EE have no reason to delay the release of any software updates, but they could put more pressure on samsung to release quicker. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@EColeridge

Samsung hasn' rolled out Oreo in the UK

Investigator

Read my post again Brandon. I am aware they haven't released it in the UK, hence none of the UK carriers have the update available.

I was suggesting that EE should apply pressure on Samsung to release it. 

Globally either 8.0 or the latest security patches have been released. The UK seems to be the exception. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Networks will have no leaverage over a maufacturer.

I am on the January patch but thats only because I was part of the Oreo Beta programme.

But I still only have the Beta version of Oreo on my device. I'm just glad I'm not having the issues I know someone else is with their Beta. 

Investigator

So if you look at the US which hasn't had the oreo update yet, they have had the Feb Security patch: https://www.sammobile.com/news/galaxy-s8-february-2018-security-patch-rolling-out-now/

Samsung have already started releasing the Mar Security Patch in some markets.

The UK in particular lags behind. Whether its the carrier's or Samsung to blame, it doesn't matter to the consumer and as most phones are on contract, responsibility lies with the carrier.

There simply isn't any excuse for security patches to be delayed. Whether it be Samsung or EE at fault. 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The aren't any excuses for lagging behind on security updates and still EE are incapable of rolling them out in a timely manner.

The real reason is a secret and kept locked in a fault along with all other useful information for EE customers. There are rumours Kevin Bacon is also locked in there as he knows the secret and has actually been trying to tell people via subliminal messages in EE adverts.

"You're on EE so you're being "upgraded".
"Hay Britain.. you got me wrapped up around your finger".

For years EE have being releasing fake news to deter people from asking for the real reason. Statements like "its due to the unique why our network operates" "We can't roll out updates due to the unique features we have" "these updates don't offer much anyway" "it's because of voice over LTE" "it's INSERT MANUFACTURERS NAME HERE fault" "Your phone will notify you of when there is an update available... but we won't"..

Even me posting this puts me at risk especially as i live so near Salibury so pray for me comrades

If you don't hear anything more from me don't worry.. There's nothing wrong, nothing to worry about, BAU, the manufacturers fault and you'll be notified when there is an update....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Our spy Mr Red Dit has risked their life and passed on some information

"Oreo 8.0 update now live for Samsung S8+ Vodafone UK"

"Pressed my download updates manually button and it actually worked!"

Free the information information is free

viva la revolution

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Three UK has rolled out Oreo. Nothing for us promised beta testers

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Its ok i got a screenshot of a call i made into EE eariler.

putin ee.PNG

I think i better trust them.. i'm sure they have no reason at all to keep everything secret..

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Comrade @Jay-Samsung do you have any information from the otherside of the Iron curtain.  I know you may have to speak in code so your superiors don't become suspicious.

But has the cookiEE been baked and rEEady for EEating.  We see THREE others have tasted the goodness and Vo da phoned their friends to tell them. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions