by
Visitor

Galaxy S7 nougat update

[ Edited ]

Dear EE, 

It is now beyond ridiculous that the Nougat update for the S7/S7 Edge hasn't been released yet. All the other UK networks have managed to roll it out weeks ago, so it is strange that there is still nothing from 'the UK's fastest network'. It is also baffling how EE has released nougat for the Xperia Z5 series already and yet still nothing for the newer and more popular S7 line. This isn't just because I want a nice new UI either, the current Android security patch is also currently over four months old. Please get a move on! 

A disgruntled EE S7 customer

34 REPLIES
by
Ace Contributor

Re: Galaxy S7 nougat update

Quite agree it is getting very silly now 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
by
Investigator

Errr they have releaded it as my s7 is running it......

by
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well... If your s7 is running it, then obviously you got it through Carphone Warehouse, as EE branded units are still not updated.

This is beyond a joke now by the way. Let's be honest, it's not only about security patches. Obviously many of us are gadget freaks and most of us would like to have the latest and the greatest. Well... Not with this network I guess.

by
Established Contributor

Morning all

Use the chat feature here and ask for a call back from a manager as you're not happy at the lack of security updates.

Especially as EE have come to an agreement with Samsung to not bundle security and OS updates due to the issue of delays.

Mark

by
Profile closed

Let me just put this out there. Maybe EE aren't happy with particular aspects of Nougat? eg. some EE specific services or even generic ones don't work quite right with it? Reading XDA forums it's not without it's problems. Personally I'd rather have an older OS that works and has all the kinks worked out than just push for upgrade regardless because I just have to have the shiny new version even though it might not serve me as well as the older version. I had this quandry with upgrading my forum from VB4 to VB5. In the end I decided to stay with VB4 for now as it worked for my forum better than VB5 did as it turned out to be a completely different concept.

For anyone that just has to have the upgrade ASAP there are quite a few posts on the forum detailing how you can flash to the BTU version of Nougat through SamMobile. Not all of EE's services are guranteed to work with it though eg. VoLTE as it's just a generic factory build.

by
Established Contributor

I've said this before but i don't believe a customer’s experience with a device should be affected by the carrier.

If Samsung or any other manufacturer release a device or update with issues, the customer should be able to see this and decide if they want to have that manufacturer in the future.   It gives a very unfair perspective when the carrier gets involved and a manufacturers reputation may become tainted.  I've seen posts from customer who have felt like this and decided not to choose a manufacturer when the issue they've faced had been resolved yet EE had not rolled out the resolution.

The same could also be done in the way of where a lesser quality device could be advertised with the latest software to gain attention and customers. While a quality device is kept on older software and the customer choice goes away from them.

These devices should be as the manufacturer intends whether that good or bad.

Highlighted
by
Contributor

You don't seem to see a problem we have in here. If BTU soft is faulty for whatever reason, then it shall get fixed with nearest update. What more, Samsung have just released a statement, that unbranded devices will get monthly security updates and patches.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/14/samsung-promises-monthly-security-updates-for-unlocked-galaxy-de...

Now in case of EE branded handsets it's the carrier acting as a bottle neck. You are absolutely welcome to buy a phone direct from Samsung and it MUST be working perfectly with EE network. Some features may be adjusted by carrier, but in reality there should be no reason for that. In theory any unlocked phone should work as intended with any network straight out of the box. If there is a problem with software, it should be Samsung's job to fix it and release an update asap.

Believe me or not, Sammy is actually doing it. My old BTU Note 4 is getting updated with bugfixes and/or security updates every few weeks, while my EE branded S7 is stuck without any support FOR MONTHS.

Please, do not tell me to go and flash BTU soft to fix things myself, because as a customer I would like to avoid all the hassle of backups, re registering my phone with banking apps, voiding my warranty etc. Why should I feel as a second class customer, if I have consciously chosen best android handset over an iPhone?

Anyway, I give it few more days, then I'll consider flashing BTU and on my next upgrade will definitely vote with my wallet, more likely by changing network and/or buying phone at full price straight from manufacturer.

I don't care about EE's customer service and their generic responses anymore, as in my humble opinion those are very often simply insolent.

Howgh

by
Established Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bronxx This! Very well said, EE you're a joke. I'm glad my contract is up soon, I will most certainley be moving away and not because you’re slow at realising software updates, or your lack of interest in security patches for your devices, or your lack of interest in providing your customers with a decent answer, but the fact that you fail to see that there is an issue here - and looking through older post on this forum (I’m talking waaaaay back when the S4 and S5 were released, this incompetence has been going on for a very long time. Unlocked S8, O2 sim only, 2 months and counting.

Bye!

by
Ace Contributor

@southerner If Ee indeed do have an issue with the update have they lost their voices? This lack of intrest and no communication from a communication company is disgusting really 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
by
Established Contributor

After many years of this and a year of me investigating this i think EE have finally listened.

I think the silence and lack of standard generic answers to recent questions shows they've taken note.

I've explained and shown these updates only increase frustration and lead to angry customers and churn. 

Lets home for information soon and change sooner after.  I don't think any of us want another year of new devices not being updates and this network being seen as last in support.

by
Profile closed

bronxx wrote:

You are absolutely welcome to buy a phone direct from Samsung and it MUST be working perfectly with EE network. Some features may be adjusted by carrier, but in reality there should be no reason for that. In theory any unlocked phone should work as intended with any network straight out of the box. If there is a problem with software, it should be Samsung's job to fix it and release an update asap.

So are you saying that Samsung somehow need to produce BTU phones that have all the extra configuration & firmware needed to support every network right out of the box & that they should be able to send instant updates as soon as any carrier decides to make some changes to their network? That seems a rather tall order.

As far as them fixing all firmware issues straight away I would beg to differ owning one of their smart TVs. Issues go on & on & even further issues are created with new firmware updates.

by
Contributor

You must be a very patient man. Lucky you..

I've made up my mind and I'm going to debrand my handset over the weekend. I don't know what's​ going to happen in the future though, because I have no problem with general services EE provides as such, but all I know is that if I shall stay with them for another contract period, it will definitely be sim only plan.

by
Investigator

nougat update is available I updated my s7 last night........

by
Investigator

Yes CPWH.......battery life is now much worse.......

by
Contributor

Give it few days to settle. Maybe few restarts as well.. It's going to be absolutely fine, Nougat is much better than Marshmallow, trust me. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

by
Contributor

Re: Bluetooth issues after Nougat update on Samsung S7

Hi @Karen_C, any news on overdue update for the rest of your paying customers? You know, the one numbered 7 and that nobody seems to know anything about?

by
Ace Contributor

I assume this is a device not running on EE firmware as they still haven't realeased it yet? 

by
Investigator

CPWH

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Bluetooth issues after Nougat update on Samsung S7

Hi @bronxx

@Karen_C is off today so Iv'e picked this one up Smiley Happy

Sorry, we don't have an estimated roll out date at the moment.

As soon as the update is available you will get a notification on your handset.

Thanks

Richard

Smiley Happy

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.