by stuarttunstall Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Firmware updates

Hi... again

Just a question.. Having joined EE on a SIM only deal I am using my excellent Galaxy Note 4 that I had on my old Vodafone contract... Now, 

If I was to check for updates for the Android system either via the handset or Samsung Kies, which version of the Andorid update would it now upodate to, would i still fetch and download the Vodafone supplied version of the EE version as it now has the EE SIM card?

Stuart

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Firmware updates

Hi,  

Having an EE SIM in your phone makes no difference to your firmware updates and in your case when updates to VF firmware is available then it will let you know. 

I would recommend installing BTU from Sam's mobile. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Established Contributor

Thank you.. I just wondered which network it would pull any updates from, not that I update that often, if it works for me then I am happy to leave it as it is Lol 

by ChrisP4GEE Investigator
Investigator

It would download the updates from Samsung if the phone was not locked into a particular provider, which is sounds like yours is not as the EE SIM would not have worked in the phone without you applying for an unlock code.

Established Contributor

It was originally locked to Vodafone, but a couple of weeks ago I applied and received the unlock code from Vodafone.. It is now unlocked 🙂 

Does this mean it will now download a standard Samsung Android update rather than a network version?

No idea how these things work Lol 

by ChrisP4GEE Investigator
Investigator

Usually provider locked phone updates come with baggage. In your case a load of Vodaphone apps you cannot remove.

It's not something I have done (I always buy stock phones, unlocked). I would suspect you would have to flash the phone using Kies and a standard Samsung ROM from their site in order to get Samsung updates in the future. Otherwise the Vodaphone firmware will continue to download Vodaphone versions of the ROMs.

I have never done it on a phone before but you will need to see if the process will work. It's highly likely to reset your phone to factory defaults too.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Although the phone is network unlocked now (eg. you can use non Vodafone SIMs) your CSC most likely points to Vodafone & so you would retain & receive updates for their firmware. To change that you would need to flash your phone to BTU (Samsung generic) or if you wanted EE customisations EVR with ODIN. As someone else mentioned above it might be worth having a read over at SamMobile. Flashing does come with risks though so you need to be prepared to accept the risks & be comfortable with the process involved. Of course the other alternative would be to disable or uninstall any Vodafone apps & change the Theme to one of your liking. Hope that helps.

Established Contributor

I know the risks, which is why I may not attept it.. not with my luck Lol  it was just out of curiosity really.. 🙂 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.