by stuarttunstall Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Firmware & settings

Hi

Just a quick question... I have just signed up to EE on a SIM Only plan to put in my Vodafone Galaxy Note 4.. which as you know will have Vodafone version of Android 4.4.4, can I update this to use EE Android? 

Just a question, I expect I will never do it, I may just buy an EE handset at some stage just wondered if it was an option and would it benefit me.

Also, as I have joined on a SIM only plan when my SIM arrives will I need to change any setting on my handset as it is a Vodafone handset? i.e APN settings etc or will these be automatically adjusted/sent by text when the SIM is installed?

Stuart

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor
Solution

Re: Firmware & settungs

@stuarttunstall The Apn settings should change by themselves.

Theres no advantage really to putting EE firmware on it as it won't give you any extra features your better off leaving it as it is to be honest 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@stuarttunstall. You'll probably need to update the APN settings,  sometimes it sorts itself out though.  

@Northerner. Can give you more information if it's worth putting EE branded Android on it.  

Established Contributor

Thanks for the reply .. 

I have put a PAYG EE Sim in my old S3 to test the network before I signed up, just looked at the APN setting in that and it states T-Mobile so I presume that one automatically changed, maybe the Note 4 will do the same 🙂 

I presume T Mobile is correct.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor
Solution

@stuarttunstall The Apn settings should change by themselves.

Theres no advantage really to putting EE firmware on it as it won't give you any extra features your better off leaving it as it is to be honest 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Established Contributor

Excellent, thank you 🙂  

It was just a thought, but as I say I may upgrade the SIM Only plan to a new handset in the future 🙂 

Just need to wait for the SIM to arrive now Lol ... 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@stuarttunstall Your welcome enjoy EE 

Established Contributor

Been with Vodafone for 15 years but they could not match the SIM Only deal for 20GB data ... Contract ends in March but I can cancel 30 Days before and get the PAC code.. There loss, had very good reports about EE.. 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Firmware & settings

Is the phone unlocked from Vodafone to take an EE SIM?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Re: Firmware & settings

Yes 🙂 I got the unlock code about a week ago, which as I am in contract for anoth 6 weeks surprised me... 

I put a Virgin SIM I have to test the unlock code and it worked OK 🙂 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.