by smash Investigator
Investigator

Emergency calls only

I currently have a Samsung S5 mini and it's been having very intermittent signal, mostly emergency calls only / no service.

I've tried my sim in another S5 min and this works, so it's a phone problem. 

If I switch airplane mode on and then off I will get signal briefly before it goes back to emergency calls only (I've tested this by sending texts to myself, they won't send receive until I restart my phone or switch airplane mode on and off).

Any ideas? I've tried removing the sim and battery, manual roam etc but I'm not having much luck. I'd probably have replaced the phone by now but as it seems to work briefly when I use airplane mode something tells me it could be software related.

6 REPLIES 6
by smash Investigator
Investigator

Re: Emergency calls only

Also the signal bar can be full but still says not registered on network when trying to make a call.

I've just changed my network mode to 2G only and this allows very slow internet access (E) and it's allowed me to make a call and send a text. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @smash

Welcome to the community.

Could you take a look at our network status checker?

It should let you know if there are any maintenance works in your area.

Let me know what it says.

Chris

by smash Investigator
Investigator

Hi Chris, already checked and no there are no issues on the checker.

As stated - I've tried my sim in another S5 mini and this works.

And it happens wherever I am, I'm out in the van most of the day across Lancashire and Greater Manchester and not much changes signal wise.

2G works and allows calls, texts and slow internet, 3G or auto connect LTE is mostly emergency calls only. 

I've since done a factory reset on the phone and still no joy so thinking it may be a hardware issue (although I find it odd 2G works).

by
EE Employee

Hi @smash

How long have you had the phone for, as Samsung provides 24month warranty and may be able to assist?

Many thanks,

Lee

by smash Investigator
Investigator

12 months.

Thanks, I'll speak with them.

by
EE Community Support Team

No problem @smash

Let us know how you get on 🙂

Thanks, Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.