by ianwaddington Established Contributor
Established Contributor

ESim and normal sim at the same time

I was disappointed to find that the pixel 3a was unable to have both sims open at the same time. I mean the eSim and the regular sim. Will the pixel 4 have this ability?

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: ESim and normal sim at the same time

Hi @ianwaddington 

EE doesn't support the Android esim and they are unlikely to support it until someone like Samsung gets involved, and incorporates the esim into their devices. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Northerner  EE do support the eSIM on the pixels, as explained here.

@ianwaddington  Until it's released, it's hard to say, it's Google that are responsible for this, not EE. Whilst it's looking like it will support both SIMs at the same time, until it's released, who knows, and then it might be only in a future update.

Established Contributor

Thanks for the information. Hard to believe that a company would make a
phone with eSIM and normal sim and not allow them to be open at the same
time. Oh well!!!

+xxxxxxxxx (Bermuda)
+xxxxxxxxx (UK)

[Mod edit: Please do not share personal details as your posts are visible to the public. Thanks!]

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@chistery 

They kept this quiet. I stand corrected then. 👍🏼

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by HappyFace Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi,

what you are looking for is called Dual SIM Dual Standby or DSDS.  From the reports, it looks like it's coming to Pixels in Android Q.  Not sure what pixels will or will not get it though as you need 2 IMEI's to support 2 active SIM's in the standards.  This means Pixel 3 probably wont support this and stick with Dual SIM sindle Standby mode that it has today.  So you will have to toggle between SIMs via the menu.

Pixel 3a, and i would guess Pixel 4, will support DSDS.

H

Established Contributor

Thanks. The Pixel 3a does not support DSDS and I am really hoping Pixel 4 will support it. Google must be losing mega sales by limiting their phones in such a way. I do know in most ccases the carriers dictate especially in the US. It's time Google said "screw you carriers" and make phones that the public want over and above the carriers. 

by HappyFace Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Android Q isn't released yet and don't go by the public beta's as they limit some features.  But Pixel 3a, if you check the box or in settings, has 2 IMEIs.  This is only really so they can support DSDS.  PIxel 3 only has 1.  🙂

Established Contributor

I have a pixel 3a and I installed the esim courtesy of EE. I then inserted
my second sim in the usual slot. I was really disappointed to find that
they cannot be open at the same time. This is unlike any normal dual sim
phone. I am hoping that the new pixel 4 will be able to have both sims open
at the same time.
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@ianwaddington  Did you stick with the Pixel? Apparently DSDS has now been implemented in Android 10 on the Pixel 3a. Is it now working? Be interesting to hear any comments.

Established Contributor

Many thanks for your email. No I gave up on the 3A. I did notice in an article that the new software opened both sims at the same time. I will wait for pixel 4.

+x xxx xxx xxxx 
+xx xxx xxx xxxx

[mod edit: please do not post personal information such as phone numbers on the public board. Thanks!]

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.