by andy-uk Investigator
Investigator

EE's Loan Phone scam

Sorry to get dramatic but it's how I feel.

My phone has developed a sticky lock button so I phoned EE and was told to take it into my local store. After travelling there and waiting 20 minutes to be seen (!) I was told they would have to send it off to be repaired and they didnt have any loan phones.

They also couldnt tell me when they might have a loan phone and they couldn't take my contact details to notify me when a loan phone became available. This was the same story when I contacted the other 2 shops in my area (SE London), by phone to save more wasted journeys.

They all told me to try Westfield shopping centre EE store. Thats at least an hour and a half round trip -- twice if you include collecting the repaired phone.

So I put it to EE that there loan phone claim is a scam bordering on false advertising as it is near-impossible to get a loan phone from EE...

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: EE's Loan Phone scam

@andy-uk  If a device is available you will be able to get one.   The stores do not hold large  quantities of loan phones and it is first come first serve.   

by andy-uk Investigator
Investigator

They can't even take my name down to let me know when one is available.  They dont say try again in a week, or a month, nothing.

So they either have a very poor notion of customer care, or the loan phone thing is complete rubbish.

I think it's the latter.  Yet people go for these advertising gimmicks when buying a phone. It's not right.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@andy-uk   If someone is borrowing a loan phone because their device is being repaired that repair might take longer than usual or they do not know when the device is coming back from the repairers for someone to come in and pick it up and drop off the loan phone.

The fixed devices have to be returned back to the shop, only when they're back at the shop can the store inform the person that their device has been fixed and is ready for collection, until the device turns up they cannot inform anybody so therefore there is no loan phones and cannot say when they will be one for you to use. 

by andy-uk Investigator
Investigator

So good customer care dictates that you would make a list of people to contact when the loan phone becomes available.

Westfield dont even answer their phone so I can't even confirm if they have a loan phone before making the long journey.

It's not good enough.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@andy-uk  So if your on awaiting list how long are you prepared to wait for a loan phone ?

Don't forget the store that you you phone are also the same people who are dealing with customers in the stores, so if they're busy with customers they cannot answer the phone.    Just because you're calling it doesn't mean that you're important than customer that they're dealing with.  

by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the Community @andy-uk

I understand it can be a frustrating time when your handset becomes faulty.

I would like to confirm a few things in regards to your comment.

Our retail stores do stock a very limited amount of loan phones to distribute to customers and they are whilst stocks last.

If a store was to take your contact details this would delay your device being sent for repair.

This is because when we book a handset in for repair and issue a loan phone we do need to book them in at the same time for security and audit reasons.

Please may I know what type of device is it that has gone faulty?

Hope this clears a few things.

Many thanks,

Lee

by andy-uk Investigator
Investigator

If my phone was functioning to some degree I would wait a while rather than go without a phone for X weeks.

by andy-uk Investigator
Investigator

@Lee_H

by
EE Employee

Hi @andy-uk

If we were to create a waiting list, this would stop handsets being dispatched to the repair centre and cause backlogs of customers' devices.

We would love to be able to supply every customer with a loan phone, but sometimes this logistically cannot be done.

Many thanks,

Lee 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@andy-uk  So because your device needs repairing now that doesn't mean a loan phone can become available right now.   If all loan phones are being used then one doesn't just magically appear because you require it.  

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.