Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Dodgy wi-fi calling on Samsung A40

I recently upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy A40 with Android 10. Our mobile signal at home is very poor so I have wi-fi calling switched on.  It works sometimes but at other times it fails, even though I'm sitting about 3 feet away from my router. At these moments I check my wi-fi and it's always working fine on other devices (average download 18 Mbps). Any ideas, please, why the phone's wi-fi calling function is so flakey?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Re: Dodgy wi-fi calling on Samsung A40

Hi @Penner 

Has this always been a problem? Or has it only started recently - if so when?

WiFi calling is designed to only kick in when mobile coverage is either low or non-existent. It may be that your phone thinks there is enough mobile coverage to use, and tries to use that instead. Handing over between WiFi & 4G will work, but this could be a reason.

To test this, turn your phone's flight mode on to switch mobile coverage off. Then turn WiFi on by itself. See whether this makes any difference?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Hi @Penner 

Has this always been a problem? Or has it only started recently - if so when?

WiFi calling is designed to only kick in when mobile coverage is either low or non-existent. It may be that your phone thinks there is enough mobile coverage to use, and tries to use that instead. Handing over between WiFi & 4G will work, but this could be a reason.

To test this, turn your phone's flight mode on to switch mobile coverage off. Then turn WiFi on by itself. See whether this makes any difference?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hi Bristolian

Thanks very much for responding.

The problem has only arisen since I got the Samsung A40.  My previous mobile (Huawei P Smart with EE) handled wi-fi calling flawlessly.

Your suggested reason for the problem sounds plausible.  We live in a country area where 4G is very patchy - for example I can get it upstairs but not downstairs!  So as I move around the house the phone will presumably be switching back and forth between the two signal sources.  So your suggestion that the phone is getting confused about the availability of 4G could be correct (although the Huawei handled this without problems).

I will try your suggested test procedure.  However, I'll have to wait until wi-fi calling is failing to kick in at a time when I want to use the phone!  So this may not be immediate.

Many thanks again for your help - much appreciated.

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hi again Bristolian

I haven't really had much of an opportunity to test your theory 'in anger'!  However, I have tried to monitor my phone, to see how/when the wi-fi calling icon appears at the top of the screen.

I think you're right.  I think the variability of 4G here, combined with the fact that the phone wanders in and out of the wi-fi network, depending on where I am in the house, is at the root of the problem.  My subjective judgement is that my previous Huawei phone handled this better (despite being nominally an inferior device), but nevertheless, it is as it is.  So I guess I just have to live with the problem - or spend a chunk of money on a wi-fi mesh system for the house!

Many thanks again for your thoughts on this.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.