by pjhaahl
Explorer

Device Security

Noting the recent CIA leaks detailing backdoors to Samsung devices, are we safe to use them.

I have a Samsung S6 but on contacting Samsung they refused to comment beyond saying they were looking into it. They were not even willing to tell me whether the device is at risk or not and whether it is indeed safe to use.

So does that mean I just shouldn't use my Samsung until we have some answers? Is EE going to give me a non-samsung device to use in the meantime to protect my security?

It seems the only people who dont matter in all this is are the innocent users of the products. Noone wants to give us any information. EE call centre operatives have not even been given information on the security concerns being reported in the news at the moment.

6 REPLIES 6
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: Device Security

After 8 months of pressure a link was provided to us last week where Samsung admitted there was an issue with EE Galaxy S6 and S6 edge

Note this is just EE S6 phones and no other carrier is affected

The statement is here.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/category/mobile/mobiledevice

It also doesn't make clear what update is delayed and why.

Mark

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Until last week your S6 was 10 months behind on security updates while all other carriers was up to date.

You have a right to be concerned as EE's policy is currently to update security when there is an OS update.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

The wiki leaks detail the smart tvs.

You have nothing to worry about.

Regardless of any security if the CIA wanted to get into your phone they can and will. 

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by pjhaahl
Explorer

Based on what Bellyman has just said, it looks like there is something to worry about.

Not updating security fixes as and when they are released in favour of wrapping them all up into OS updates, leaving people like me 10 months out of date?

That sounds like EE not taking our security seriously to me - and don't forget they are required to store our history now too!

It doesnt seem Samsung take our security seriously either. When I spoke with them, they seemed more concerned about being secretive about what they are doing rather than be honest with me.

Samsung are looking into their Smartphones as well as their smart TV's too. I managed to glean that much.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

They are not required to store anything.

Laws in the USA have now ground overseas. You are safe.

Regarding the security updates. You have been updated even before this leaked out.

Yes EE have work to do there I admit, but it isn't as big as you are making it out to be or what WiKi Leaks are making it out to be.

The CIA FBI or whoever will gain access into anyones phone in the US or abroad with permission from that government regardless if your security is up to date or not.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@pjhaahl wrote:

Noting the recent CIA leaks detailing backdoors to Samsung devices, are we safe to use them.

I have a Samsung S6 but on contacting Samsung they refused to comment beyond saying they were looking into it. They were not even willing to tell me whether the device is at risk or not and whether it is indeed safe to use.

So does that mean I just shouldn't use my Samsung until we have some answers? Is EE going to give me a non-samsung device to use in the meantime to protect my security?

It seems the only people who dont matter in all this is are the innocent users of the products. Noone wants to give us any information. EE call centre operatives have not even been given information on the security concerns being reported in the news at the moment.

Lol you do know that the CIA, GCHQ and other security services listed and monitor all mobile and Internet communications legally or not. 

Security updates will not help especially if you install app, just look at what Facebook has access to on your phone. 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.