by LD101 Investigator
Investigator

Can't receive texts.

For the past three days I've been unable to receive texts. I can make / receive calls and can send texts.

If I text myself it comes through instantly. 

I spoke to two people on the live chat yesterday who couldn't help and was told a 'level two' advisor would call within 24 hours but that's been and gone now.

Has any body any ideas? 

13 REPLIES 13
by Mikeyw187 Investigator
Investigator

Re: Can't receive texts.

Have u checked the time and date of your phone. Sometimes u may be recieving them but as they will come through in date order if ur date is wrong then the order of your messages will be wrong. I.e if ur phone date is a yr our of date....the texts u receive will be on the list but in date order.......what phone do u have? If u can send texts....ur message centre number will be correct. If u have an iPhone there may be an issue with ir iMessage not being set up correctly. 

by LD101 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for responding. It's a Sony xperia x. The people on live chat yesterday had me texting myself and they came through fine. I also received one of their two 'test' messages while chatting with them.

The date and time are correct. 

They had me remove my sim card yesterday but that hasn't helped either. 

Investigator

If ur recieving texts then everything must be fine technically wise...so apart from u blocking peoples actual numbers then not sure. Open your phone app and press the setting button sometimes a 3 dots or 3 lines in top left corner or could be a cog....then look for block numbers....see if any are blocked. I only think this because u are receive ur texts back and the texts off EE

Investigator

If u find that no contacts are blocked. First thing to do is put your sim in another phone and test it. ...if the texts dont come through off the poeple ur not receiving them from....we know it's the SIM....if they do....we know it's the phone.....last resort is factory resetting your phone. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @LD101,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Did @Mikeyw187's tips help?

Have you heard back from technical support?

Thanks

James

by LD101 Investigator
Investigator

I had another live chat which couldn't help, they gave me a number to call. 

They said exactly what @Mikeyw187 said in his last message. I have to go in store to try a sim swap, failing that they'll try a factory restore.

It's so strange that only incoming texts are affected yet I can text myself. 

Investigator

I don't think a sim swap will do much.....most the time it's like blowing into a cartridge of an old game.....it makes u feel like it's helping just like taking ur sim out .did u try ur sim in another phone? Or look if you're blocking numbers .

by
EE Community Support Team

Please keep us updated @LD101

I hope it's resolved soon. :smileyhappy:

James

by LD101 Investigator
Investigator

@Mikeyw187 I don't have a phone to try it in so will have to go to a store tomorrow. I did question how helpful a sim swap would be but she just said it was the next step.

I checked my block list and no contacts are there, if I had them blocked they wouldn't be able to call I guess? They've all called to ask why I'm ignoring texts! 

Investigator

On my android phone when I open up messages and press the three dots it has a separate blocked messages part. It shows me all the messages I have received that have been blocked .

by LD101 Investigator
Investigator

I just tried my sim card in my daughters iPhone (I didn't think it would work with it being an iPhone but it did). My partner sent a text to us both, my sim in her phone didn't receive anything, her sim in my phone came through. So I'm assuming a problem with my sim card? 

by LD101 Investigator
Investigator

Well, since putting my sim back in my phone I've had 44 texts come through ! 

by eleiyas Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Sometimes weird blockages like that do occur. 

If it happens again, I would suggest asking for a new SIM card.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions