by Kentheklown
Visitor

Can an A7 activate without a sim card?

I have synched up my old phone with my new phone and followed the start guide but it says I can't make calls as there is no sim. My A7 didn't come with a sim and my old phone (A5) doesn't have one. What am I doing wrong?

4 REPLIES 4
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: Can an A7 activate without a simkilo card?

@Kentheklown wrote:

I have synched up my old phone with my new phone and followed the start guide but it says I can't make calls as there is no sim. My A7 didn't come with a sim and my old phone (A5) doesn't have one. What am I doing wrong?

Each phone needs a SIM card to make calls, to text and to use mobile data. It even needs a SIM card to use Wi-Fi. At the moment you have two phones and one SIM. Whichever phone you put the SIM in will work. If you want both phones to work at the same time then you'll need another mobile phone line - because unfortunately you can't have two SIMS for the same phone number,

Thus, you could get a second SIM linked to your existing EE account. It would have a different phone number. You could share your minutes, texts and data allowance between the two different SIMS. 

You can add another line to your existing EE account. That will give you a new SIM which will have a new number. It will cost you of course, but there will be a discount. Talk to EE about adding a phone line to your existing account.

But, why do you want both phones working st the sane time? Do you need them both working at the same time? If so then try the above suggestion.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Can an A7 activate without a sim card?

@Kentheklown wrote:

My A7 didn't come with a sim and my old phone (A5) doesn't have one. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry, how on earth did your your old phone, the A5, ever make calls or texts, w/out a SIM? You need a SIM to go on the mobile networks to make calls & texts & even use data when off WiFi.

You musta had a SIM for the A5 & all you need to do is move it to the A7 if it fits or order a replacement SIM that fits with the same no. from EE.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Can an A7 activate without a simkilo card?

@Profile closed wrote:

It even needs a SIM card to use Wi-Fi.

Not true! Any mobile device can go on WiFi w/out a SIM or with a deactivated SIM.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Can an A7 activate without a sim card?

Good Morning @Kentheklown

Welcome to the community. 

@XRaySpeX is correct, you will need a SIM in your device to connect to the network. 

Are you using an EE device?

Speak soon, Katie  🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions