by TayBee
Visitor

CPW EE vs EE direct Pixel 3 XL

Hi all,

I'm a fellow Pixel 3 XL (just black, 64GB) customer and I've been rather disillusioned lately as to the state that is the delivery process of these phones.

I would never leave EE because for years they have been exemplary for me; however, carphone warehouse offer EE contracts and I can get the phone today.

I am aware that there are sometimes firmware differences between devices, for example for VoLTE and Wifi Calling, but given the purity of the Pixel's firmware I'd be surprised if google even let people tamper with it - I understand from last year that pixel's security upgrades are pushed immediately without going through EE. Or EE process them much faster than other updates (*cough* Samsung S7 edge), I'm not sure which.

I was wondering therefore, if someone would be able to clarify if there is any benefit for me to stay with a contract direct with EE, as opposed to just upgrading through CPW to an EE contract? They seem to offer better prices/GB of data as well than directly through EE does. The rep I just got in touch with said something like she can't comment and it's my choice - I appreciate that is the case, it is my choice, but I'd quite like to be informed prior to making it as to the incentive behind staying directly with EE who seem to have both delayed my device and offer more expensive price plans than identical EE contracts through CPW - nothing is free, there must be a catch; I just want to know what that is.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
by Seangy Investigator
Investigator

Re: CPW EE vs EE direct Pixel 3 XL

1. If you can I would go to CPWH to get your phone. Even though it's an EE contract your phone will be an unlocked version of the pixel. Not locked to EE. Otherwise no difference between EE direct or EE via CPWH
by Legend
Legend

Hi @TayBee 

There are loads of threads on this topic to sum them up: 

• CPW import third devices cheaper via the EU so can cut their profit margin per handset.
  • CPW are paid commission on Tariff sales and are offered incentives so they can compete with EE retail/online 
  • It makes no difference to EE where you upgrade, although they would prefer you upgrade via them. 
  • If you do upgrade and have problems you are CPW problem not EE.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hello @TayBee

Thank you for posting on the Community today. :smileyhappy:

Honestly, there is no reason to upgrade with EE directly, especially when your purchasing a device like the Pixel 3 XL. :smileyhappy:

As you've already described, the Pixel 3 XL is one of a few devices that is compatible with WiFi Calling and VoLTE (4G Calling) without having to purchase the device directly from EE. Your Pixel 3 XL will be unlocked automatically and you don't need to wait six months to unlock your device as you would if you was with EE directly.

I have also just had a quick look on the Carphone Warehouse website and they offer both the Essential and Max plan, but it would appear that one of the Max plans are only available online, so bare this in mind. I would also recommend you upgrade online if you are not 100% sure about upgrading with Carphone Warehouse as you'll have 14 days to change your mind. As @Northerner advised, if anything goes wrong with your upgrade, you'll need to speak with Carphone Warehouse, but everything else will be EE's responsibility.

There is one thing to remember, you need to upgrade through Carphone Warehouse, if you commit to a new contract without upgrading, you will need to transfer your number from EE to another network and back again as you can't transfer a number from one account to another. :smileyhappy:

by Mikeyw187 Investigator
Investigator

Go where ever the best value for money is....if u get it from Cpw....all it will mean is...if ur phone is faulty u would go to manufacturer or take it to Cpw.....if there is a problem with a bill or service u would call EE as that's is ur network and who u pay your line rental to. 

by Mikeyw187 Investigator
Investigator

Off topic but I swapped from the Google pixel to note 9 as I could never tether my Xbox to it after an update .Google could never figure the issue out....felt majorly let down .

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions