by daveuk Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Buying a replacement handset (Pixel XL) from EE

So I bought a shiny new Pixel XL 128 Gb in October on upgrade with EE. Unfortunately I then dropped said Pixel XL in December and my insurer's fairly useless repairs partner has deemed it beyond economical repair. 

No drama, the insurer has paid me out to buy a new handset....if only I could find one!

EE have loads of stock of this handset and are the only retailer (or at least the only reputable retailer) in the UK with any at all. However, despite the fact that I'm a pay monthly customer of EE and purchased my original handset from EE, they apparently have no mechanism whatsoever for selling me a replacement handset (for which I understand I would need and am perfectly willing to pay the full sim free RRP).

Unless it happens to be one of the very few low spec handsets that they sell "Pay As You Go", the UK's largest mobile network apparently cannot sell their own customers replacement handsets of which they have stock.

This is the information that I have been given by Customer Services. Can anyone confirm whether, absurd though it doubtedly is, it is accurate?

Thanks,

D

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: Buying a replacement handset (Pixel XL) from EE

Hello there @daveuk

I am sorry at the moment this is contract only and the advice @Chris_B has provided is correct. 

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

EE don't normally sell replacement handsets so you will have to use your money to settle off your contract and then upgrade again, maybe to a different phone!

Thanks,

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Established Contributor

Thanks for the response.

At c.£1,200 to pay off the remaining months of my contract, that's not really a viable option (I would be better off waiting for the handset to come into stock elsewhere or buying a different handset sim free).

I just find it incredibly poor that EE have stock of the handset, sell it to new or upgrading customers, give it to their own insurance customers, but won't sell one at full price to a contract customer. I realise of course that their margins are far greater on new contracts and upgrades than on sim-free sales but it's a poor service offering.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@daveuk  EE have this device as a contract device so must be at present taken with a contract.  If and when it's available on payg you can then purchase this to use with your contract.  

Have you looked at THIS ? Purchase it outright from Google. 

by

Hi @daveuk,

EE are also out of stock of the 128GB Pixel XL.

As @Chris_B said, it's best to keep an eye on Google's store and order when they are back in stock.

Thanks

James

Established Contributor

James,

Thanks and that's interesting - the EE online store was showing stock this morning and is now not!

That does rather render my original question academic but, out of interest (since you are EE staff), if EE were in stock do you happen to know whether or not it is right that I couldn't buy one outright?

P.S. I'm aware that Google distribute the handset directly and that they are also out of stock and I'm on their waiting list but not optimistic!

by
Solution

Hello there @daveuk

I am sorry at the moment this is contract only and the advice @Chris_B has provided is correct. 

Thanks.

Established Contributor

Thanks Leanne.

A poor state of affairs on EE's part but at least a conclusive answer.

by

Hi @daveuk

I hope you get the phone you want soon.

I really do apologise we could not help you further.

Thanks.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.