by BigKB
Visitor

Bought bike f/Argos. 2 days later wife's Fbook gets ad for same bike. What's hap

Hi

Newbie here.

2 days ago I searched for a kids bike on Argos's website with my phone. Later bought the bike in store. Today my wife has an ad for exactly the same bike pop up in her Facebook. Eerie or what. We checked back and think this is the 5th time something like this has happened. I once searched for a tractor and 2 days later she got tractor ads in Facebook. She had holiday ads arrive after I had been searching for a winter break.

I don't have Facebook. How are they able to reap my browsing and then send ads to my wife. My big worry is who else are they sending it to.

I use EE, she has 3mobile. We both have Samsung's but different models. The only common factor I can find is the wi-fi. It happened when we had BT and is now happening with Vodafone.

We are not making this up. It is very unsettling. Does anyone have a fix or explanation?

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Bought bike f/Argos. 2 days later wife's Fbook gets ad for same bike. What's

Hi, 

It's called targeted advertising and it's likely identifying similar IP addresses. Once it's matched it will show advertising from say Amazon or Argos for items you have viewed or searched for in the past. 

On Samsung if you go into settings - Google you can change ads. It's also tracking cookie.

Thanks   

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Bought bike f/Argos. 2 days later wife's Fbook gets ad for same bike. What's

@BigKB wrote:

Hi

The only common factor I can find is the wi-fi.

If you doing this over WiFi to your Broadband, whether BT or Voda, you are both using the same connection to the Net with the same public IP addy.

Whenever you do a web search like Google it remembers products you search for & will then trigger ads for the same product from various platforms like FB. As you are both on the same BB connection you will both see these ads in diff ways as you browse diff sites. That's the price we all pay for a "free" Net.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @BigKB,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I can see you've had two great answers already but I wanted to add that if you are both logged in to the same Google account on your phones, your browsing history may be shared across the two phones.

Thanks

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.