by GridlockMikey Investigator
Investigator

Being sold an out of stock product

So my contract was due to expire so I started the research process into a replacement for my note 8. Naturally the note 10+ came onto my radar.

I spoke to the rep initially and was told that I was a bit early and that there would be an early upgrade penalty of around £100. Naturally, I figured that I'd wait the few days until I was in my official upgrade window.

That evening, miraculously, I recieved another "courtesy" call and suddenly the early upgrade figure disappeared.

I negotiated a deal to upgrade my note 8 and also my daughter's S8 at the same time. Of course, the pricing was roughly what I was currently paying but that's life.

The order was place and life went on.

The next day, the S10 was delivered to the wrong address, despite having the conversation to have it delivered to work. Upon recieving the package, a day later, the note 10+ was missing

Of course, I thought, every time I upgrade, there's always an issue. Normally it's the wrong contract when the first bill comes but this time, there was a phone missing.

Upon calling 150 I was told that the note 10+ was out of stock for at least 4 weeks.

Whilst being ****** off that the "deal" I had negotiated a few nights before was nothing more than a sales ploy to hook me back in with ee. I also feel ****** that despite being a customer for over 20 years with my whole family, there was nothing in the way of apology.

A few hours later, I recieved another call... About that lack of stock.. would you like the 512mb version, tomorrow, instead.

What's the catch I asked.... An EXTRA £10 PER MONTH PLUS AN UPFRONT CHARGE OF £50. I cannot believe that they tried to turn it into an upsell opportunity instead of trying to sort out the rubbish customer experience that the sales people had created.

I don't want a free phone, I am even happy to wait however, I feel that the tactics employed by the commission hungry sales team were underhand and unnecessary. They lied in order to hook in the customer for another 2 years.

I look forward to hearing from someone from ee within the next 14 days with some form of apology or acknowledgment that what they did was sneaky or they will be finding an S10 being returned and the note 10+ order cancelled.

A ***** off, loyal customer of over 20 years

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Being sold an out of stock product

Hi @GridlockMikey 

There is no account access on these forums so you need to speak to CS on 150 or complain via EE complaints process.

I would suggest you consider your approach, yes it's annoying but you are angry about a mobile phone, it's not the end of the world, it's a consumer electronic device.

I'm sure EE will rectify any problems and you won't lose out.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Some well intentioned advice, when complaining it's a good idea to stick to what's actually happened without assuming reasons. I say this because it just confused things and makes it seem like a rant rather than a complaint.

Also be clear about what you want in resolution of your complaint and make sure it goes to the right place.

Northerner has given some good advice about how to complain to EE, for effective advice about complaining in general there are some good guides on consumer advice websites like resolver, money saving expert etc.

Investigator

I'm sure it will get sorted out, however, the time of your response is indicative of the nature of the customer services set up over there.

It's only a phone so we don't need to pay attention to detail... That's ridiculous, also, I'm paying you for a service, to the tune of over £1000 a year for 3 phones.... It's YOU that needs to check your attitude. Its not me having a moan about a phone, it's me letting others know that these are the tactics that get employed. 

Investigator

Thanks @Techhead 

I shall immediately adopt the attitude of shut up and put up so that I don't get ridiculed and trigger the snowflakes

It seems that these days complaining is uncool and in a world dominated by likes and follows, what I've done is simply "not the done thing"

Silly me

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@GridlockMikey 

First time anyone has called me a snowflake. 

My point is that, yes it's annoying but if you apporch the problem with a different attitude to you are likely to get a better outcome. If call up all agressive then the person you speak to will instantly be in the defensive, and the call won't go well, and won't be satisfied with the outcome. However if you call up with a more calm attitude then it's likely you will get a better response and a better outcome.

As I've said, EE will fix the issue I'm of that, but getting so worked up over a mobile phone isn't worth it.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

Investigator

@Techhead 

I approached the problem via 150 in a calm respectful manner, the outcome was simply.... Oh well, it is what it is... What do you want us to do about it?

I'm well aware that it's pointless ranting at the poor soul at the end of the phone who is frantically switching between screens trying to piece together their colleagues previous lies and deceptions. I also understand that it's not going to get you anywhere, losing your sh*t when they inevitably return from the discussion with their manager and tell you that there's nothing that can be done about the situation.

My point is that I was led into a chain of events that was preventable. If the initial sales Hyena would have said, right at the beginning, that the note 10+ was out of stock, I'd have still gone ahead but with a clear understanding of the situation.

I feel like I've been lied to just to close a deal and I think it's important that other people are aware of my experience. Hence posting in a forum.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @GridlockMikey 

As you have purchased online the you get 14 days to consider if you want to cancel your purchase. I suggest you call and do this returning the handset. 

You can upgrade via third party such as Carphone Warehouse, they might have stock. 

Your experience with EE wasn't great, it's understandable that you are annoyed, but EE sell and upgrade thousands of customers daily with no problems. But on occasions mistakes are made and I'm sure they will rectify the situation. You should still complain via the link I provided above. 

Thanks

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Afternoon @GridlockMikey.

Welcome to the EE Community.

I am sorry to hear about what has happened regarding your new order.

I have sent you a private message for further details, please take a look when you have a moment and get back to me.

Speak soon,

Katie 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.