by remasters Investigator
Investigator

Asus Zenfone 5 and EE data.

Hello.

For the last few years work has required me to have a phone that takes duel simcards which was fine in my oneplus 2 with my EE and Vodafone simcards.

I dropped said oneplus 2 and smashed it so I bought a ASUS Zenfone 5 (2018).

After inserting both my Vodafone and EE simcards everything was fine for the first few weeks with the ability to switch data network as and when needed (Depending on coverage and location) however after the first few weeks the EE data network just stopped working, so now the only data connection that works is the vodafone Simcard.

I've contacted EE support three times now only to go over the same old steps.
Remove the the vodafone sim

Remove the AP

add the AP with EE settings

Reboot phone.

I've also switch the simcards positions in the phone and the vodafone data works in both simcard slots and the EE one works in neither.

The data still works If I put the EE sim back in my smashed oneplus 2.

I've reset the phone back the factory settings and only inserted the EE sim before I called EE support for the third time, still with no joy.

I've tried an 02 simcard that belongs to my brother and this too works without issue.

I have contacted ASUS's support and they tell me that the EE network is fully supported on this handset and given the fact it did work for a few weeks would suggest this claim to be true however since my EE data still works on my own phone I'd say this clearly is an issue with the handset and the sim combination.

Cosidering all of the above this is my last resort posting on these forums in the hope someone else my have resolved this or at the very least have the same problem.

Any information would be much appreciated.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Investigator
Solution

Re: Asus Zenfone 5 and EE data.

Havent tried this yet, but my ee sim is over two yers old.
https://www.asus.com/zentalk/ph/thread-230326-1-1.html

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@remasters  If that sim works in the old device then it’s not a EE SIM card issue and as EE doesn’t sell that device you’ll need to sort this out with the manufacturer as it’s obvious it’s a device issue. 

Investigator

Thanks Chris.

It's clearly a compatibility issue with the handset and the network, I'm aware of that.

I was simply posting for idea's for what went wrong as it worked for a while with EE.

Has anyone got the same handset and has it working with EE?

by awf200 Investigator
Investigator

I have been using my Asus zenphone 5 on EE for over a month without issue. However, last week mine developed this issue with mobile data. At the same time a UI update came out and post this update it started working again until yesterday. I am about to start working through various fixes to see if I can get mobile data back online.

I only use sim1 though and only use EE.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @awf200

Welcome to the community.

Let us know how you get on after trying the fixes you have.

Leanne.

by awf200 Investigator
Investigator

OK, so went through settings with EE customer services yesterday (Very helpful and friendly) but were unable to resolve the issue.

Therefore I backed everything up and completed a factory reset. Unfortunately this did not resolve the issue either.

I then borrowed and o2 phone and sim and played swap to eliminate a hardware fault. Needless to say my EE sim worked perfectly in a Maze Alpha and the o2 sim worked perfectly in the Zenfone. Therefore defintely not the SIM and definietly not the Hardware.

Left with no other choice I have restored the phone to and older firmware and so far all seams fine.

https://www.asus.com/zentalk/thread-215391-1-1.html

This is by far not an ideal solution as I am a firm beleiver in installing updates as they become available as this improves security of the device form external threats and viruses, but it looks like I will have not choice other than to use and out of date firmware until my sim only contract expires and then move to a different provider, again not ideal as I like EE but I do like my Zenfone more.

Investigator
Solution

Havent tried this yet, but my ee sim is over two yers old.
https://www.asus.com/zentalk/ph/thread-230326-1-1.html

Investigator

Just to confirm a replacment newer simcard resolved this issue for me.

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for the update @remasters Smiley Happy

James

by awf200 Investigator
Investigator

I had to get a new sim when I got the phone. 

Asus have just released new firmware 1810. I will try this on Thursday. 

by awf200 Investigator
Investigator

I have just been able to confirm the latest firmware WW- V15.0619.1810.63 also does not allow for mobile data on EE 😞

Back to 1804.20 again

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.