by baraduim Investigator
Investigator

Android.System.UI has stopped working

Hi I installed the latest system upgrade sent to my Samsung Note 4 this evening and now it will no longer boot up properly. All I get is an endless loop with the Samsung logo and then a app starting message followed by the "Sorry the system UI has stopped working" message. Wait a few seconds and it reboots, cycling throught this over and over again.

I did manage to get it to power down and restart in recovery mode, but cache clearing did not fix this?

What should I do now? Is there a fix I need to do with SD card loading? Should I expect to hear from EE as to why their upgrade failed and how I should fix it?!!

Any info gratefully received.

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Android.System.UI has stopped working

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@baraduim@ It looks like the installation corrupted.

EE won't contact you over it. Samsung makes the software EE just tests it. 

Did the phone turn off at anytime during the update (not counting the time it is meant to restart)

You can plug the phone into your PC and use kids or smart switch depending what is needed for your phone now to initialize the software.

This though will erase all data on the phone and restore it back to original as if you just opened.

This is what they'l do anyway if you send it off for repair.

If you have an SD card in there take that out and try starting it up. This could be causing issues.

If that is the case then format the SD card.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by baraduim Investigator
Investigator

Thanks. The problem seems to be before it gets anyway (straight after a blue "Starting Apps" message. I didn't notice it turn off unexpectedly but am used to it booting a couple of times in installation so nothin untoward.

It looks from Recovery that I can load an image from SD card which is why I mentioned it, as that suggests if I have the installation file I could run that again manually that way and (hopefully) it'll install correctly that time around. Assuming that is available somewhere to do so?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

If you cannot factory reset then perform a software recovery from Samsung PC software. 

thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Of course if you can't get the phone alive by software, you could try to find a Samsung Centre near you and they will be able to help also:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/service-centre/

I'm sure if you explain that it was an update that caused this, that they'll help FOC.

by Jay-Samsung Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@BrendonH, ( @Chris_B )

Hi Brendon,

I would suggest trying to power the phone into safe mode first to rule out any apps (power the phone on and hold volume down).

Failing that, take your phone into the nearest Samsung Service Centre for them to have a look. If the battery has failed this may cause the same issue you are having.

Find your local Samsung Service Centre at: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/service-centre/

If the battery is the only problem then you may still be able to save your content. If not, unfortunately the phone will be updated to the latest software version (hard reset and update), or the "motherboard"  and battery may need to be replaced.

If the handset is under 2 years and in warrantable condition then this won't cost a penny. I would also suggest charging the phone up to 100% and try turning on when plugged into your charger. If this works then it may just be a battery fault.

Hope this helps,

Jay

by baraduim Investigator
Investigator

Thanks guys, having spoken to Samsung support and run through various options it seems to be that the installation was corrupted, so I will need to take the phone in and they'll look at it. With any luck it will be a manual update and won't need a hard factory reset and loss of exisiting data.

[Safe Mode wasn't available as the phone doesn't get to that point]

by
EE Employee

Let us know how you get on @baraduim.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Jay-Samsung

I'm not the one with the issue 😛

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Jay-Samsung Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Oops Smiley Very Happy

by parsonssmith

Also this dr.fone - Repair can help to solve this 'System.UI has stopped working', works well with Samsung Galaxy phones. Watch this video:  youtu.be/zXSHe3oorIM

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.