by beth17
Explorer

Android OS has eaten my data

Hi i am hoping someone can help me with the following. Today out of the blue i got a warning that my data limit had been used up which i was sure was wrong as it was only just reset to 1gb. Upon looking at my data usage i was shocked to see it says Android OS 0.90gb. I am not tech savvy and someone said its to do with apps running in the background. I have never gone over my data and this problem only occurred today and ive tried googling it to find a solution as someone has  said this problem will keep happening and im not having much luck can anyone help please. the phone i have is a Galaxy S6. Thanks in advance. 

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Android OS has eaten my data

Configure your phone to:

• Only do Software Update over WiFi.
  • Restrict background data.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @beth17

Thanks for posting.

If you can follow the below this will turn off the background apps for you.

• Go to Settings
  • Data Usage
  • Select the three dots at the top of the screen
  • Tap Auto Sync Data and tun Off.

Let me know how you get on 🙂

by beth17
Explorer

Hi thank you for your reply,there is not 3 dots when i do the below action on the s6..Ive restricted background data and gone into the google play and turned off auto update as someone said to do this but nothing. The OS Android update is constantly trying to update and i have to keep pressing later to stop it. I cant force stop the update either. The last update took almost  a gig of data so im.not really sure what to do now. It seems a lot of people after doing some research have had this problem and no real solution. Someone said reset the phone to factory settings?. Thanks again for any help.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @beth17

Thanks for coming back to me and trying this.

If you go into Settings > System > About device > Software update.

Can you change this to WiFi only?

Also can you turn off Auto Update.

Thanks, Leanne 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.