by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Android Music Track Order Bug

This may be old news, but did Google ever fix the music track order bug in Android? I'm talking about the bug where album tracks are played in alphabetical order rather than track order. There are thousands of pages on the web talking about this problem in the past but I can't find anything recent. Since the music player on a mobile phone is the most important app for me, this is a show stopping bug. I am a Windows Phone user but clearly Windows Phone has failed due to the lack of apps and very reluctantly, my next phone will probably have to be Android powered. I rip my own CDs using Windows Media Player which does things correctly:

1. File names consist of a 2 digit track number - 01, 02, 03, etc. - followed by a dash and then the track title - with special characters, e.g. "?", replaced with dashes - and finally ".mp3".

2. The MP3 header information is correctly set, in particular the track Title and the track number (#).

Thus for the Muse album "Drones", the first 4 tracks are stored as follows:

1. File name = 01-Dead Inside.mp3; header title = Dead Inside; header # = 1

2. File name = 02-[Drill Sergeant].mp3; header title = [Drill Sergeant]; header # = 2

3. File name = 03-Psycho.mp3; header title = Psycho; header # = 3

4. File name = 04-Mercy.mp3; header title = Mercy; header # = 4

Are there any makes of Android phone/versions of Android that would play tracks stored such in a single folder in the correct order? If so, what are they? For the record:

1. I have no time for complex work arounds.

2. I have no interest in ANY subscription streaming music service.

3. I will never buy any product by Apple.

13 REPLIES 13
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Android Music Track Order Bug

@NigelSmith   hopefully @Northerner or @Damienw1 can help with this as they use Android. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @NigelSmith,

Welcome back to the EE Community.

I haven't experienced this issue with my imported music, but my collection was uploaded from iTunes, rather than WMP.

Are you manually transferring your music to your phone or uploading it to your Google Play library using Google Play Music Manager?

Thanks

James

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

On Windows Phone, I simply connect the phone to my Windows PC  with the USB cable and manually drag 'n' drop the files using Windows Explorer. I had a very cheap Huawei Android phone and was able to do the same thing. The Huawei phone played albums in alphabetical order which was completely ludicrous. This is what first alerted me to this problem. If you search on the web for "android music incorrect track order", there are thousands of hits. The problem is/was that a serious Android bug meant that music players failed to read the track number (#) from the MP3 file headers when scanning a folder containing music. I have no wish to EVER use iTunes.

by
EE Employee

Hi @NigelSmith

When I look in my file storage on my Huawei P10 the files are displayed like this:

But In my music player they are fine, and in correct order

Please excuse the taste in music 🙂

I use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.musicplayer.player.mp3player.white&hl=en to play all my music

Let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi Lee. Afraid I can't tell you how I get on as I don't currently have an Android phone. My Windows phone will keep me going for the moment. I am tempted to buy a cheap Android phone - LG K4 120E - but if this were to exhibit this problem, I would have wasted my money and would scream very loudly. I have ripped CDs using Windows Media Player for years:

1. Windows Phone plays albums in the correct order

2. Before that, a Nokia phone running Symbian played albums in the correct order.

3. The Huawei Ascend Y300 played albums in the incorrecrt order, i.e. alphabetical.

I am currently very confused.

by
EE Employee

Hi @NigelSmith

My mistake a read your previous post as you still have a Huawei.

I can't comment on how other devices will handle the music, but I know mine is working perfectly.

So the issue may have been resolved.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

I also drag and drop music I have "obtained" onto my Android device from my PC.I can't say I have ever encountered the issue you are describing. 

All the albums play in the same order as the source. 

You might be better off asking about this on XDA. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Northerner wrote:

Hi, 

I also drag and drop music I have "obtained" onto my Android device from my PC.I can't say I have ever encountered the issue you are describing. 

All the albums play in the same order as the source. 

You might be better off asking about this on XDA. 

Thanks 

Thanks Northerner. Out of interest, what is the make and model of your phone? Or more pertinently, which version of Android is it running? Also, what is XDA???

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi @Lee_H and @Northerner. If I were to send you, say 3 of my MP3's, would you be prepared to temporarily put them in a suitable music folder, play them in your music player in NON-SHUFFLE mode and then tell me in which order they were played? You wouldn't even have to play the full tracks - just the first few seconds and then press the next track button. Also, if you could let me know phone make, phone model and Android version. That would be a terrific help. Smiley Happy

by

Hi @NigelSmith,

I would upload an album or two via Google Play Music Manager so you can test it yourself. (You can listen to your music library via any web browser as well as the app)

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@NigelSmith

I have always used Samsung phones (G3,4,5,6,7) but I'm using the LG G6 at the moment. I also use the default music player which on both manufacturers is good. I have a Google play account but don't use it much. 

My phone is using Adroid 7 but I never had this issue on any time before so unless it was a bug specific to one manufacturer or version of android? 

As for the upload, I'm afraid not, not only a copyright issue but I don't put anything on my phone I don't trust. 

XDA is a android developers forum so they may know more about the bug and if it was fixed. 

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by mdwh Contributor
Contributor

I've never had any problems with track order on Google Music on Android (typically I copy files from PC, that I've mp3 tagged through various means; but also fine with stuff I've uploaded to Google Music and then play on Android). This has been on various Nexus devices and a OnePlus 3T.

What music player were you using - was this Google Music, or did the Huawei device have its own one?

If it comes to it, there are plenty of third party music players on Android.

by

Hi @mdwh

Thank you for sharing your experience with others in community 🙂

Cheers

Richard

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.