Highlighted
by
Contributor

Android 7 #STILLWAITING

Where is the Android 7 update for the Samung S7 Edge - It is so bad that my other phone a #GalaxyS6, yes S6 on #Vodafone (Works Phone) updated today to Android7. Come on EE where is the update...

Just in case you don't know when Android 7 was released for UK Base 17 Jan 2017 / #Orange 19 Feb 2017 / #O2 20 Feb 2017 / #Vodafone 02 Mar 2017 / UK/Ireland 06 Mar 2017

21 REPLIES
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Android 7 #STILLWAITING

Good morning @jjmills

Welcome to the EE community Smiley Happy

Sorry, we don't have an estimated roll out date at the moment.

As soon as the update is available you will get a notification on your handset.

Thanks

Richard

Smiley Happy

by
Established Contributor

[ Edited ]

Morning @Richard_C

You should have and estimate and i know a purposely has been put to management for a page showing the time line of progress for updates on all devices. 

@jjmills would this be of benefit to you and your question. Do you feel EE should offer this page and be transparent about the progress of updates 

Mark

by
Contributor

How can you mark this as "Solved" "Solution Given" - Far from it... Please review your answer and feel free to mark it solved when EE provides a Date of Update.

Meanwhile you still advertise S7's and S7Egde but don't point out to the consumer that the software is out of date.

by

Hi @jjmills

I haven't marked this as solved

However the information given to you is all the information we have.

I'm sorry I can't give any date as I stated on my original post.

As soon as the update is available, you will be given a notification through your handset.

Thank you

Richard

Smiley Happy 

by
Contributor

The post is still marked with "Solution" you havent given any. You do have a metric to acheive understand which would be along the lines of % number of posts marked "solved" or "solution" - So the solution would be provide a date - you are unable to do that as you have clearly stated that is fair enough but don't incorrectly mark it as "solution". "Solved" would be all our HIGH SPEC phones that we all purchased from EE would have been updated to Android 7.

"Solution" = Date of Update

"Solved" = Updated

Android 7 works in the UK as demonstrated by other carriers and standard Build (BTU)...

BTU even works with EE WiFi Calling

The only hold up in Android 7 is EE...

by
Ace Contributor

@jjmills

@Richard_C is not the only person on this forum who can mark posts as Solved. But only the person who did it knows.

But EE or any other network gives out any dates or times when updates will be available.

Yes EE have a bad track record in always being the last network to release it but would you rather have a update that works or have many bugs?

You are talking about how its working on BTU etc.

Did you skip the thread on here that someone who has a S7 edge on BTU and updated to Nougat 7.0 and his phone now randomly restarts many times a day.

That is a common known fault. Wouldn't it be wise of EE to wait until this fault has been rectrified before pushing it to you guys? Because then you'll be coming back saying the update made my phone faulty etc.

Brendon (Android Expert)
Samsung Galaxy S8+ Midnight Black (Nougat 7.0)
by

Hi @jjmills

The solution has been removed, however the information I have given you is correct.

Thanks

Richard

by
Established Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BrendonH Sorry I’m confused with the above….. so what you are saying is that EE knows Samsung’s software better than Samsung? This problem with one person’s BTU software could be a one off, as I have done the same and my phone is mint (3 months going strong).

Stop defending them and realise that S7 edges and (others) that are locked to EEs software are vulnerable to attacks due to them being out of date.

Apologies for being blunt, but this had to be said!

by
Established Contributor

[ Edited ]

With respect @BrendonH it is not for EE of any other carrier to judge if a piece of software is worthy of release or not, unless it is there own.

If a manufacturer releases a flawed piece of software it is their reputation that is tainted and not the carrier as long as there is transparency.  This allows us as customers to make informed choices when chosing a device.  We should all have devices as the manufacturer intend on a network carrier that supplies a service in a way they intend.  Neither should be linked.

We'd all be unhappy if SKY started saying "We're delaying the football until Sony sort out their TVs". Silly i know but the point is fair.

by
Ace Contributor

@Bellyman your comparison is flawed.

@Fourpot This isn't just 1 persons S7, a quick google search will show you this.

Regardless of the flaw this would taint EE as it would be them getting the flak.

I have been on this foum long enough to know that people blame the network for everything when 99% of the time it is a fualt of their own doing or someone else

Brendon (Android Expert)
by
Established Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes it is flawed and was a bit of fun.

There is currently an issue with P9 devices thats been resolved by Huawei but EE have held back releasing the fix for months.  In this situation their input is a hindrance and causing issues to users.  Huawei have been up front about this and given me a statement on their process with carriers including EE.

--

Hello!

About the updating procedure, devices sold by network operator are locked on a specific network. For this, network operators ask Huawei to modify the software of these devices.

Because of these modifications updates can only be sent out by the network operators and Huawei cannot send updates directly to these devices.

Network operators are responsible for the updates because of these modifications. Also, they have to modify them to fit their devices.

Information about the updating plan should be included in your contract with EE. Seeing as they modified the software of the devices they sell, they are responsible for their release.

Hope this proves useful. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Have a great day!

--

I stand by my point that a customer should have a device as the manufacturer intends whether that good or bad and the carrier provides their service as intended.   I'm trying to get the same sort of statement from Samsung.

Mark

by
Established Contributor

@BrendonH That's not the point, that vast majoirty are fine.

You have also missed my point completely, I agree with what @Bellyman has said.

All I care about is secuirty (working in IT security myslef) my device is more open and vunrable to attacks than someone one the lastest software. (Fact)

Am I asking to much to know why my device is on out of date software? and when i should expect it to be updated?

by
Established Contributor

@BrendonH Btw that question is directed to EE not yourself.

by

Hi @Fourpot

Thank you for your post Smiley Happy

The answer I gave at the beginning of the topic is the honest and correct answer.

We have no reason to unnecessarily withhold or delay any software or security updates.

When any update is ready, you will receive a notification on your handset.

Thank you for joining the conversation.

Richard

Smiley Happy

by
Established Contributor

@Richard_C as you can see from the statement from Huawei and the issue of a fix not being rolled out you can see this is not the case.

This customer has an issue with a Samsung device and we're aware there has been a change of policy to unbundle software updates to provide quicker updates.  Has this happened?

I get the feeling from the many customers posting here they're frustrated at the generic information and would welcome a more detailed update when asked.  

What date was the agreed EE build sent to Samsung.

Will Samsung be rolling out the update or EE.  I see Huawei updates are rolled out by EE and not them.  I've been told Samsung roll out the updates to their devices, why the difference.

So you see there is more information you can give and that will give your customer a better picture of whats happening.  If you feel they don't deserve this, why?

by
Ace Contributor

@Bellyman as you can see from posts tht EE can't give you any dates of when things has happened. Constantly saying the same repetitive posts is not going to change this.

Remember I said I am with you on this but there is a way to go about it and the way you have gone is wrong. You need to stop with the little guys (term of phrase here sorry @Richard_C) and speak politely and calmly with the big guys at Head Office. This will mean writing the CEO a letter or email him.

Asking for dates constantly isn't going to change anything and what Huwei says has nothing to do with Samsung phones. They are different and will have different terms with EE.

Yes there may have been a change of policy with Samsung but this is not going to change over night. Things will need to be implemented first.

Brendon (Android Expert)
by
Established Contributor

The specific issue is not the issue it is the lack of acknowledgement that this is an EE issue and work is being done to resolve it.

I've been told to "watch this space" in reply to changes i've suggested BUT an instant and more helpful change is to acknowledge EE is the root cause of the issue and ask the customer to bare with while we look to improve the service.

Us who have investigated this issue for a while know where the fault lies but the new posts and general customers don't.  It is their frustration that should be noted and addressed.

EE are the root cause of this frustration but whats more frustating is the lack of admitting they are and it is this that can be instantly changed and should be.

by
Established Contributor

[ Edited ]

To add to this the generic statement is wholey wrong and we have the information and evidence to prove it.

I don't want to say it any sterner but it is incorrect and should be corrected.

by
Ace Contributor

Do you put down your place of work to customers?

Because if you did you'd find you would be brought before them to have strong words and possibly a discilplinary.

If my staff did this I would be having strong words with them.

The staff on here don't know the dates and they are telling the info they know and which is correct

Brendon (Android Expert)
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.