by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Android 10 Update date for pay monthly OnePlus 7 Pro 5g?

The McLaren 5G model is a different phone different hardware and firmware. You cant compare the 2.

The CEO has stayed there is issues with the 7 Pro 5G model Android 10.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10/One UI 2.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Gramil Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I think you should compare the two. Is the general mobile phone buyer going to know that the 7 pro had the x50 modem while the McLaren has the newer x55? It should be made quite clear to those looking to buy the 7 pro that the modem is old, outdated and difficult to support by both EE and OnePlus. 

The CEO has stated that but that really doesn't help us does it, first date for android 10 was October now second date is vaguely Q1. Can't wait for Q1 to come and go without an update and possibly still sitting with September software. Hoping I'm pleasantly surprised though.....

by SeanTheGun Investigator
Investigator

The 7 Pro 5G and the 7 Pro however are identical except the 5G modem yet one runs newest update and is update bi monthly while the others left to gather dust. 

The principles and governors that built the McLaren 5G is the same as the 7pro 5g...they had to build it from scratch as the CEO stated. So they could build a new one from scratch but not the 7 Pro from scratch? Your blind defending is annoying and however you look at it both Op and EE made a deal to release a device that wasn't even through beta stage yet nor did they have the infrastructure nor support to fix it. Both companies jumped in feet first with little to no regard for the final outcome of the customer who has ultimately paid the price with an expensive paperweight.

You may disagree but there are hundreds who disagree with you after buying the 7 Pro 5G. 

They can be compared completely...

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

They cant be compared at all they have different firmware.

The firmware cant be interchanged.

You havent got a paperweight at all because everyone is still able to use the phone as intended.

Make calls

Text

Use internet.

Nothing has stopped working so of people choose to let it be a paperweight and not use it because an update that has been delayed by OnePlus and not EE then that's their choice.

Established Contributor

Now here's an idea then. Why update phone software at all? We obviously don't need security updates so why update for any phone?

May be something to do with leaving phones wide open for exploits that have been found in software hence why they push them out ASAP. So, why am I sitting on a September update? Is that acceptable or do I have to wait until my phone is exploited before I get any support?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Yes @Gramil when buying a phone you compare to see which to buy.

But for firmware updates you cant compare 

Established Contributor

So when I'm told when buying the phone that OnePlus updates are comparable to Google I shouldn't have believed that? If I'd been told that they're pretty slow for this model or it's not a well tested device so it may be not as well supported then I may have reconsidered or kept using my Pixel 2 XL ( which got the 10 in September).

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Obviously people are missing the point here.

The release was meant to be back in Sept/Oct.

There are issues. The new security patch was meant to be in there.

Obviously OnePlus are working flat out to sort the issue instead of tweaking the existing firmware with security patches.

EE dont make the firmware. They cant push anything out they dont have to test etc.

Established Contributor

@BrendonH I'm not blaming EE for the lack of update. I'm annoyed at their lack of empathy or action or evidence of action that they're taking to sort this out. They've not acknowledged this as an issue with this phone, communicated to us owners or even considered any form of goodwill from what I can see. "We can sort this for you, just give us £200 and the phone back" is the response, and before you respond I totally understand I signed up for a contract with EE to provide a service but surely they should bear some responsibility for the device. I know it does all the basics that they are contracted to provide but what would you do if your phone all of a sudden stopped receiving updates or the manufacturer stopped responding to users or even acknowledging the device. 

Don't feel you have to respond as this is exactly why I'm getting a deadlock letter. I'm quite a demanding customer when it comes to technology so can also see it from EE's viewpoint.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Updates are free so why do you need compensation for that?

Established Contributor

Don't want compensation I just want an up to date phone.

by vexbit Investigator
Investigator

I ended up trading mine in using the early upgrade option and got the Pixel 4 XL for £100. Absolutely amazing phone, no more lack-of-updates drama. Much more stable, and reliable than the OnePlus. I recommend everyone do this.

Established Contributor

@vexbit that's the plan, just need to wait until Feb for it to go down to £100 then it's gone.

by vexbit Investigator
Investigator

Makes absolutely sense to me! If EE's PR were smart, they'd let everyone
who is unhappy with that phone to bring that date forward. After all, it's
free cash for them.

-Soen
Established Contributor

EE are really sticking to their guns, more than happy for me to go to the ombudsman than give a bit of goodwill and allow the £100 upgrade option two months earlier. You'd have thought they'd jump at the chance of getting a near new phone back to sell on and me paying them £100 but seems they want me to give them £200 so I'll wait.

EE's PR really doesn't give a damn. I won't be getting a device in the future that's exclusive to them or another device from OnePlus that's for sure.

by Redphyve Contributor
Contributor

Here's the thing.

We are early adopters. More specifically TECH early adopters. And because
we are early adopters, we get the newest tech first, with all the benefits
and bonusses this entails. It also means that we also get to experience at
first hand ALL the difficulties new tech brings. So we experience all the
problems because we're the first buyers of a new technology. See Tesla
owners. See first iPhone users. The list goes on and on. Cars. Planes.
Phones. TV's. Blu-rays. Dvd's...et al.

With regards to security updates, we are geeks, how many of us are not
savvy enough to steer clear of malware and exploits? How many of us have
been affected by this? I'm willing to bet none if any of use. And yeah, I
want Dark Mode for apps too but... it's not a deal-breaker.

I'm not excusing OnePlus. It's just the reality of getting our tech first.
This happens. And what happens once the first firmware releases? The next
one will be better and quicker as they get used to working with it. Things
will get better.

EE also share some responsibility but the firmware issue is OnePlus and
Google.

So grin and bear it or chuck your toys out the cot. Either way we're
getting our update in Q1.

So in the meantime, breathe, enjoy the festive season, have a drink, play a
game, and enjoy the phone.
by _mbd Contributor
Contributor

@Redphyve  You're not wrong but I think you missed the point most of us have made either in OnePlus forums, EE forums, etc.  We've been summarily dismissed by OnePlus.  Copy/paste response from a designated few with no follow up and no further explanation.

I wouldn't be upset with delays if there was an actual open line of communication on the forums, but OnePlus has completely failed.  EE doesn't give a toss, they have us in a contract and they're technically done nothing wrong.  EE could respond with more kindness and a way out of OnePlus while maintaining or extending my current contract with a new device.  But they don't really care and can't be bothered.  

Again, not really their fault so nothing I expect or demand from them.  It would go a long way in keeping my custom after my current contract expires though.  Still, ultimate fault lies with OnePlus.

And yes, we're early adopters.  But this was a ready for prime time device, or so we were led to believe.  It's not, and the silence from OnePlus says it all.  They were caught with their trousers down and then just decided to push forward with promoting their T models and ignoring the elephant in the room.

This isn't a Windows Insider program where you take risks based on which level of Insider you wanted to be.  This was a completed and tested device ready for full scale release.  Apparently not. 

5G isn't brand new tech.  For a company whose tag line is "Never Settle", what a load of bollocks. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

The phone is tried and tested yes.

Future firmware specially major updates like Android 10 are not tried and tested on these devices beforehand if they were not available at the time to test these.

So problems can arise like OnePlus has stated. They are having issues and state itll be releases in Q1.

What more can they do? They dont want to push out unreliable firmware. And neither should people want unreliable firmware.

I dont know why people think EE should let them have a new phone for free or upgrade for free or cancel their contract. EE are providing the service you are paying for. Updates are not a paid item. These are free. There is no line in your contract stating you'll get these.

Investigator

And again mate no one paid for a half baked device that was bug riddled from the start, no where did OP state this is difficult/new tech and updates would be slow or need extra work before releasing the device, they released what was described as a perfect device capable of 5G humped on the back of OP reputation of "one of the best brands for timely updates and integration to the android eco system"... "never settle" while not even updating there "most premium device to date" at the time, to android 10 6 month after its release it's a joke. 

As for stating Google as a point of problem is quite thoughtless consider they released all update in a timely fashion it's upto OP to implement which there becoming more and more useless at. For example just received update on 7t pro and it still 2 month behind in security update even though it was released after the December patch came out for Android. 

Granted most security flaws can be negated by careful use but there are a few that can creep through the safty nets, a simple app install on the play store that's got through and it could bye bye passwords, personal details etc. 

Investigator

Wrong...

My device was returned and accept back 2 months after it was bought due to it not even being able to get calls or data. Even messages would pop through hours later after they were sent. No where did I get 5G either it was a p*** take from the start. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.