by SeanTheGun Investigator
Investigator

Re: Android 10 Update date for pay monthly OnePlus 7 Pro 5g?

Update aren't free there part of the promise you buy with a branded device. That's why they state These devices will be updated for at least 2 years. Some even 3 years. 

Although there is no payment for the update there is a premium with buying a brand that is expected to keep to these promises from the manufacturer. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

No they are free unless you can show me proof where you pay for them. Because your monthly bill is for your tariff (eg calls texts data) and the phone itself.

No where do you pay for updates.

They promise to support the phone for 2 years no where does that state updates will be monthly.

You pay a premium for the brand itself not the updates. They dont have to keep it updated just because you pay a premium for a specific brand. What you expect to get because of the money you pay is different to what you actually get. You are paying for the phone itself and the tariff nothing else.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10/One UI 2.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@SeanTheGun   So your device sounds like it was faulty then,    Silly question do you still have a Oneplus 7 pro ? 

by Hawkeye1

So what is going on with this update? We are well into Q1 now and still no sign of the update... I would have thought the latest and greatest phone would have been build on the latest and greatest Android system. Surely they have had enough time now to atleast start rolling this out to the flagship phones. I should have gone for the 4G model...

by vexbit Investigator
Investigator

I ended up doing an early upgrade to a Pixel 4 XL. Hands down the best phone I've ever used. Monthly updates without fail, and new features regularly. I notice that the data connection is much much more reliable on the pixel 4 as it uses a Qualcomm modem rather than the buggy Intel X50 modem in the OnePlus 7 Pro 5G.

After two months of using the pixel 4 XL, there's not a single thing about the OnePlus I miss.

by Redphyve Contributor
Contributor

Well done you....but shouldn't your review be in the Pixel forum?

And yes, the updates would be more regular because it's a Google product so yes, you would get regular updates....and as it DOESN'T support 5G, well, not really comparing apples to apples are we now.  

So, really, as usual, nothing really helpful to contribute...

by vexbit Investigator
Investigator

Well, I told you what I did when I was in the exact same scenario. Lots and lots of us on the OnePlus 7 Pro 5G forum all did this, so I'm not unique in this situation.

Perhaps you could conserve your snark for those not delivering on their promise, OR you can speak with your money and take your business elsewhere. Actions speak louder than words.

by Alexander_k Contributor
Contributor

Yes thank you many of us would like to do that but alot of us can't updgrade. Or it is too expensive to upgrade so we are stuck. We understand that you and many would. Be happier. However as I have the OnePlus and I a big fan of the company and yes it is disappointing for this to happen I still want to keep the phone as OnePlus dose still have its perks. Many of us who are keeping this phone are very annoyed that OnePlus and ee cannot cooperate and delivery but alot us are still happy with it and I'm sure that in the next couple weeks we should get it and after it should be easy updating after. If we want to swap then we know that you are happy with the pixel 4. Fyi may is coming up and the 8 pro 5g could be a better updgrade if available. Thanks

by Redphyve Contributor
Contributor

Like I said, well done you. 

And nobody made me any promises, and I completely understand the delay because I  understand the dangers of being an early adopter of new tech. 

I've been with OnePlus for a long time now, so while disappointed in the delay of rolling out 5G WORLD-WIDE, I will be giving them a chance to do the update in Q1.

After that...well, we'll have to see.

Investigator

Yeah mate I got it replaced not once but twice lol. The devices were faulty or just not what they say they are, I was offered to change device to another brand free of charge but decided to terminate contract free of charge. EE and OnePlus were absolutely horrendous to deal with and couldn't even get stories straight when dealing with each other. Won't be using either company again. 

Investigator

To add mate, I really get your frustration. But unfortunately OnePlus are still just a Chinese company with Chinese support managed from China. Great product initially let down ultimately by its brand support. OP have bitten quite alot more off than they could ever chew. 

Regardless what others say, when you buy a device you get a support plan layout with OP it's 3 years, same with Google and such. OP have been the only manufacturer to not keep to this schedule or the revised schedule they released. They simply don't have the man power to maintain all the devices they now offer and it's only going to get worse with each new device. 

I would strongly recommend to try for an early upgrade or go down the missold route and get your contract terminated. I don't believe OP will survive in there current model, there pushing for big brand status without the support and it's let them down big time. Looking at OP forums alone tells you the story. I should've looked there before I got a device by them but I was too head heavy. 

There may be a release for the 5G, but It will be bug ridden and I doubt it will be updated ever to android 11, they can't even manage to push out timely security updates for ALL of there devices.

It's missold if there stating it's supported for 3 years yet can't keep it updated after 3 months that's the road I went and it worked. 

by Gramil Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Tried the lack of updates route and EE were having none of it. Told me the only option I had was to take it to deadlock. 

They state that they are not in control of updates so the problem lies with OnePlus.

Quite like the phone but actually regret selling my good old pixel 2 XL, I'd be sitting here messing around with developer 11 now rather than with an outdated release of 9.

Hey ho, live and learn, looking forward to looking at my options once I can move on.

by Simtech Investigator
Investigator

OnePlus 5g uses Qualcomm

by vexbit Investigator
Investigator

You're correct - I thought it was the Intel modem, but it's Qualcomm's X50 modem which, apparently, is still very beta and the drivers aren't great. I believe also it's a separate chip to the SoC and that's why the 5G model cannot run the standard 7 Pro builds of firmware.

by Gramil Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Android 10 is now available on the 7 pro 5G. I had to download from Oxygen updater though as doesn't show when checking for updates.

I'm assuming there are still some people out there that still own the phone......

by Redphyve Contributor
Contributor

Pretty impressed do far. 5G seems improved, though honestly its perceived rather than confirmed as fact.

Liking what I've been able to play around with thus far.

by Simtech Investigator
Investigator

Phone worked fine on Android 9 and seems about the same on 10. Only thing to stop working is my Samsung watch 🙂

by Ondrej55

Still haven't got my update... Any reason why?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

by _mbd Contributor
Contributor

The update for me came through yesterday afternoon, but I couldn't run it until I got home.  Everything went fine except that it lost my notification sounds.  Everything except my alarm and ringtone. 

Either it's a bit laggy or the animations are slow when moving between apps. Maybe both. Overall it's fine. 

I like that I can now double tap to turn the screen off like I had in Windows mobile 4 years ago 😋  

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.