by Redphyve Investigator
Investigator

Re: Android 10 Update date for pay monthly OnePlus 7 Pro 5g?

How do you know?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Redphyve wrote:

How do you know?

EE doesn't make firmware for every single device it sells, why would they? They are a communications company not a manufacturer of phones.

Click here on how updates are tested and deployed 

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10 Beta)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Gramil Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@BrendonH thanks for the link, really useful.

It does beg the further question though, is EE testing the software and are OnePlus awaiting authorisation to deploy the update? The link just further confirms that EE test the software so why is it so hard to either confirm or deny that testing is taking place.

Highlighted
by Kiersdoface

I'm also currently waiting on the update. From my experience with Oneplus customer support, it appears that while Oneplus are aware the 5G variant is unlocked, but since it is sold through EE the 5G modem is set up according to EE's spec so that it works best on their network. This then makes it seem to me that it is up to EE to test updates to then send back to Oneplus before release.

It's frustrating though. I wish they'd issue a time frame, even if it was a vague "2-4 weeks". Oneplus' global community manager confirmed on the Oneplus forum that Android 10 is coming 'soon' to the 5G model, but this was around mid September. A month later and no news? He said and I quote "All chill out and stay tuned"

EDIT: Link to the forum where this is discussed: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/5g-complaints-and-replies-directly-with-oneplus.1119649/

David Y (global community manager) has been recently responding to people complaining about the lack of updates. I hope this helps

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Gramil because the testers are locked in the basement and not allowed outside communication.  

by vexbit Investigator
Investigator

@BrandonH so then why, when I run a packet trace on my phone when it's checking for updates it's connecting to EE? And if route those packets via VPN then EE's servers don't respond; because the traffic is routed from outside the UK.

Clearly you don't even have the device in question and are making assumptions, not to mention being a bit of a sarcastic troll. 

by Gramil Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Oh dear @BrendonH you were trying so hard to be a helpful "android expert" but have evidently used up all your knowledge on this particular subject. Now move along and pretend to be helpful to someone else young android novice.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I know its shame some people dont want to be educated and learn how updates work.

by Redphyve Investigator
Investigator

My Apologies Brendan...I asked the wrong person, I had meant to ask that question of another person.

Red

by Redphyve Investigator
Investigator

When?

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

What's odd is that unlike older phones that were locked to a network and had carrier softwware like the Galaxy S8, the OnePlus 7 Pro 5G is not carrier locked.

Yes, it was sold exclusively on EE, but the phone works with any SIM you put in it and comes with no carrier specific features.

So why would OnePlus need an EE sign off? They clearly don't need to, and look to be passing the blame to EE here.

Rather frustrating as I understand the need for carrier sign offs usually but in this case it's adding a step that frankly isn't required and it paints EE as the bad guys too.

Grr.

by Andrew_Fishburn Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

+1
by elsworth1983 Contributor
Contributor

https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_7_7_pro_oxygenos_open_beta_4-news-39783.php

Beta 4 available oh not for us 5G users #OnePlusFail Twitter 

by Andrew_Fishburn Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

The companies blame each other.

EE claim it's not them and OnePlus say EE

"Friends who purchased OnePlus devices from our partners, including T-Mobile, Sprint and EE. We will work closely with our partners to deliver the best Android 10 software experience for your device. Keep up with the exciting updates right here on our forums."

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oxygenos-based-on-android-10-incoming.1116547/

There is no clear answer!

Is it EE/Oneplus. It seems to be that EE MUST have to approve the software

Contributor

It may help it may not but if you have Twitter until we get answers when am Twitter I see a OnePlus post I bomb the thread sad I know but no one is answering our questions so I #OnePlusFail 

Contributor

Screenshot_20191027-145915.jpg

Contributor

Tried putting a screenshot on seems not to be loading well Android10 is coming apparently to OP7pro5g in 2020 In Q1 💩💩 #OnePlusFail 

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/unified-oneplus-7-pro-5g-owners-complaint-thread.1100067/

by Alexander_k Investigator
Investigator

I'm not sure if that was a link but fyi all that comes up.is a cream triangle is showing. 

Contributor

Was meant to be a screenshot but some reason it won't work so added the link to OnePlus💩

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/unified-oneplus-7-pro-5g-owners-complaint-thread.1100067/

by Alexander_k Investigator
Investigator

Ahh no worries thanks for the link though

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.