by Andrew_Fishburn Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Android 10 Update date for pay monthly OnePlus 7 Pro 5g?

Sprint in the u.S are bringing out the same 5G variant of the phone to their customers and you know as soon as the US consumers start buying it we'll have loads of updates, presumably. as long as the device is popular enough over there

by Gramil Established Contributor
Established Contributor

A good theory but a quick Google reveals that it's been out in the U.S. since September. 

If OnePlus decide not to update it they won't - obviously the service providers don't really care so why would they.

If you speak to OnePlus they don't even realise that the phone isn't locked to EE, this is one of the excuses they use for not updating and then blame it on EE.

by SeanTheGun Investigator
Investigator

Correct, however...

The newest update would need to sort the 5G issues regarding drops lags and non existent 5G...

Since owning the device I haven't seen 5G once on my device which I'm paying for...

So there is a service I am paying for that EE sold me and I am not getting. With this alone I am able to get out of contract. 

So EE may not have to give the update, but if they don't they won't have any customers on there 5G plan to worry about updates. 

Already spoken to EE CS regarding this as a complaint, they confirmed it would be eligible for cancellations without charge due to lack of service promised, only reason I haven't went forward with it is the deal I got on the device regarding data, discount and bt sport would be hard to find a better deal. But I'm thinking of cancelling and going with 3UK for the standard OnePlus 7Pro or OnePlus 7T Pro when a available with all you can eat data.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@SeanTheGun again as I think you are missing the point.

EE are not withholding the update.

EE are not saying they dont want to send an update they have no control over.

EE cant make OnePlus send updates 

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10/One UI 2.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Alexander_k Investigator
Investigator

Yes we understand it's is just that both companies are pushing the blame on each other. This making us think who is actually sending us the update is it ee or OnePlus. OnePlus make the oxygen os and they make the phone. Ee make the SIM card. The phone is not locked which confused us more. I think most of us want to know who exactly will send us the update. I read somewhere it should be released during the q4 of 2019 so we shouldn't wait for long. both OnePlus and ee should be ashamed of working together to make this technology possible and then blaming each other for not providing. Guys I know it's annoying but what can we do but wait. 

Established Contributor

@BrendonH so how do you know that OnePlus haven't sent the update to EE to test prior to being given permission to push out to devices as was suggested as a possibility to me by EE's twitter support?

Could this not be what OnePlus mean when they say that it's down to EE for the holdup? 

Investigator

No point is being missed, ONEPLUS have stated it's upto EE to push the updates they've released. 

They released security patches to EE and none were released to us from EE,  users had to manually be updated by using oxygen updater app. 

OnePlus have stated EE is in control of the update, so EE may not be able to control update being sent from OP but they can stop them being sent to the public... 

EE and OnePlus are a joke of a company and I'm not even going to bother contributing any more funds into either of there pockets. 

Just to let anyone know, you can get out of your contract IF 5G doesn't work in your area and the device doesn't get it due to software as you were sold that it does.

Also I don't see how you can defend a company that doesn't know it's ass from its elbow, all saying different stuff just to get people off chat and lines, push them to OP them OP tell us it's EE and to contact them. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

The point is being missed constantly.

EE hasnt held nothing up. EE isnt the company that makes the firmware. They do not push it to you. Oneplus does.

No 5G variant (in UK at least) has the 10 update.

If it is out in the states and I see no evidence of this then that doesnt mean its delayed here. The US is a different market.

Android updates are not like iOS.

Android do not push to all at same time. They do it by market. Eg. USA, EUROPE, (UK is different market to Europe)

Established Contributor

@BrendonH I'm not new to this at all, been flashing custom ROMs and beta releases since forever so am quite aware that EE don't send out updates BUT if EE support indicate that EE are testing prior to release then surely this will hold up any release from OnePlus.

EE twitter support quote which may again be me missing the point- "We always aim to deliver software updates to customers in as efficient a manner as possible. We work tirelessly to make sure that any updates do not have a negative impact on how your phone behaves on a day to day basis, so we test them thoroughly. If anything is found the manufacturer usually needs a week or two to fix these and then send back to us to retest."

Now I might be missing the point but that sound like OnePlus have to run updates through EE prior to release rather than push straight out, does it not?

Are you missing the point?

Investigator

I just want to add that I have the oxygen os updater and it doesn't seem to show the android 10 update for the 5g. It might be reliable though.

Established Contributor

@Alexander_k  5G hasn't been released so it won't be on there. The fact that we have to use the updater says it all really, doubt any of us would be on the latest release if it wasn't for that app. Has anyone had it as an over the air update?

Established Contributor

@SeanTheGun Good loophole for those on a 5G contract! Unfortunately I got it on a 4G one as wanted the phone due to the good reviews and the fact EE don't sell the 4G version. So long wait or expensive early upgrade for me...

Investigator

I just wanted to add aswell I just went the ee store and they seemed very amused that OnePlus have been accusing them of not releasing the update. They said that OnePlus have to release and it is nothing to do with ee

Investigator

UK is not different market to Europe... 

The firmware on my device is the EU version.

Do you know what your talking about at all?

Highlighted
Investigator

If allowed to post pictures...

I have David Y, Global Manager of OnePlus stating on the community forum it is EE (in UK), Sprint (USA) holding up the updates to be released. 

I have screen shots of our conversation...

Investigator

HELLO EVERYONE I FINALLY HAVE FOUND OUT

ONEPLUS HAVE AMMITED TO BE RELEASING THE THE UPDATE.

But it will sent to ee to be rolled out

by elsworth1983 Contributor
Contributor

Well I upgraded from a Google pixel 2xl to this phone and i read reviews all good wish a dug a bit deeper.

All we want is android 10 running 9 for me is going backwards now I've only had the phone for a couple off days are us owners of this device gunnie pigs ??? Is it going to be like this for the 2 years of contract or do I send the phone back and get something else.

Sorry for quoting your post it wouldn't let me add my own ✌️

by Andrew_Fishburn Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

If it's on contract. Send it back
by vexbit Investigator
Investigator

+1

EE is responsible for updates as this is a 5G device (and 5G is still experimental IMHO), and the device is built to EE's spec (single SIM card, 5G modem, etc).

Will be getting rid of this phone shortly, the whole EE/OnePlus relationship has been incredibly disappointing. Going to go to a Pixel 4 XL retail and ditch this whole debacle.

EE and OnePlus; you've got a lot of unhappy users.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-7-pro-5g-owners-complaint-thread.1100067/

@BrendonH You definitely don't seem to understand the situation. OnePlus send the firmware to EE for testing and EE then release it to their OnePlus users. EE's firmware is a custom firmware so that EE can approve the 5G modem of the device as 5G is still experimental and they don't want to release a firmware which might have a knock on effect on the rest of their network. This is the exact same scenario when 4G was rolled out. Apparently OnePlus has released the firmware to EE, and EE are still testing it. The device calls home not to OnePlus' servers, but to EE's. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@vexbit think you are a little confused.

EE doesnt send the update out. After they have tested it they tell OnePlus to release it.

EE doesnt do that.

Do a little reading you may find things outm

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions