by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

An S6 update, did we do it

Morning

So last week EE got a statement from Samsung about the long delayed to S6 updates and today i have an update

EE said

Hi Mark. Samsung has published a version of its statement regarding this delay on their website, which you can read at: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/skp/faq/1123783. Regarding your questions on the back of their statement, I can only reiterate what Samsung said in their statement which I forwarded to you last week; “If any customers would like to discuss this issue please contact Samsung customer care”. Thanks – Rich

--

I've emailed Samsung to clarify a few issues but today i got an update, installing now.

I have to say EE's update issue isn't just a Samsung one, its an Android issue and while every manufacturer is different any delay should be down to them and not due to the carrier or any changes they require.

This is the first update on the S6 since May 2016...

Mark 

28 REPLIES 28
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: An S6 update, did we do it

The update brings the security of the S6 up to date

Model SM-G920F
Model name Galaxy S6
Country United Kingdom (EE)
Version Android 6.0.1
Changelist 8821257
Build date Mon, 16 Jan 2017 13:09:33 +0000
Security Patch Level 2017-01-01
Product code EVR
PDA G920FXXU5DQA7
CSC G920FEVR5DQA7

Lets hope this carries on from here and we seem monthly updates as we're supposed to.

http://security.samsungmobile.com/introsm.html

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Bellyman

Can I get your attention to that Web page you posted.

Did you read the terms?

I have circled it for you.

http://imgur.com/AjKxWgh

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Yeah i saw that but EE wouldn't be one of THOSE carriers would it hahahaha

They'd want to keep us fully up to date and have the best experience for their customers..

serious though the S6 was more than a quarter behind

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Was just pointing out 😛 Many people don't tend to read the small print then you know... 😛

Yes EE should keep you updated monthly. Specially not miss the quarterly updating period either.

Maybe let Samsung know they were more than a quarter behind?

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I've already emailed Samsung who said

--

Hi
I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 and it has not had a security update since May last year. As i'm sure you appreciate this is not best practice for data security.

EE have said that security updates will only be rolled out with an OS update.. I found this unacceptable and raised a complaint.
Now today it seems EE are saying this is your choice (see statement below).

“Samsung is committed to providing the highest quality software and security. To ensure the most seamless experience, we combine security patches and other software updates into one release to minimise inconvenience for our customers. We also undertake thorough testing to identify any issues and, whilst Samsung endeavours to make updates available at the earliest opportunity, there can be some delays whilst any identified issues are addressed. If any customers would like to discuss this issue please contact Samsung customer care via http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/” is this true?

Thank you for your email. Your customer reference number is 2119108423.

Further to your query, I can confirm that the statement listed below is correct.

As you have stated that you have not had an update since May, I recommend completing a root check on your device, please follow these instructions:

1. Power on the phone whilst pressing the volume down and home key
2. Press up power key at the warning screen
3. This will display ODIN Mode

This screen will display the following information:

ODIN MODE
Product Name:
Current Binary:
System Status:
Knox Kernel Lock:
Knox Warranty Void:
Qualcomm SecureBoot:
Wait Protections:

Please reply to this email providing the above information and I may be able to assist you further.

I look forward to your reply.

If you require additional support, please contact us on 0330 726 7864 (UK) or 0818 717 100 (EIRE), or respond to this email and I will be more than happy to help.

Alternatively, you can visit our Support website where you will find FAQs, How-To-Videos and other useful information for Samsung products.

Kind regards,

Saba
Customer Service Representative

--

I've now replied back asking for clarification as to why this combining goes against their own policy.

There is disparity here and i would like to know where the root cause is.

Mark 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Did you send Samsung the info they requested?

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Not yet but will do

by Greatdj123

Finally...I got the latest S6  6.0.1 update. Security patch now Jan 17 and not may 16!!! Blimey it has taken far too long but got it. I see it was down to Samsung delaying it from the above post link to their site... but still taken too long considering general release was Oct 2015!!!! Absolute joke grrrrrrr.  I hope to God that the 7.0 nougat update doesn't take that long. As the S7 has it I heard it will be Q2 April time when we get it. So if that's right then it won't be long....but not holding my breath.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I've put a couple of questions to EE after this update the main one being EE have told me they was going to get Samsung to seperate security updates and OS updates so one doesn't hold back the other.  I asked if this update does that.

Next i ask if the delay in this statement relates to this much delayed security update on Nougat.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/skp/faq/1123783.

So i continue to ask for transparency with these issues and a policy change to improve the service for us all.

I even suggested the below which i think is what we need and deserve.  If you do to message the forums admins and ask them to raise it with management

--

Wouldn't it be a good idea to show a time line of events for these sort of issues

For example

1st Feb - EE received standard build of firmware for S7

7th Feb - EE submitted changes to Samsung for S7

10th Feb - Samsung agree changes and start work

15th Feb - EE receive first build of EE changed firmware for S7 to test

20th Feb - Testing complete and changes passed on to Samsung

25th Feb - EE receive 2nd build of EE changed firmware

30th Feb - EE completes test ok given to Samsung 

1st Mar - Samsung start deploying firmware

Wouldn't that give the customers more information, reduce frustration and less posts on the forum.   One simple page with all the devices EE offers with a time line of the updates.  It could include the changes in each build and links to fixes and guides to other services and avenues for advice.

Also if there is an issue EVERYONE knows where it is and EE will be able to advice why it is.

I see this as a fantastic value add for EE and one that needs little work from the business.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Reports coming in today Vodaphone are updating S6 to Nougat around the world.  People are downloading the updates as I type. 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I've asked EE if the last update which brought the security up to Jan would now allow the seperation of security and OS updates so one isn't holding back the other as thet stated here

"On the Samsung GS6 specifically, we’ve been working hard with Samsung to roll out the update, but the quality of the updates we’ve received have not been at a level that offer a sufficient quality user experience all around, not just for EE services. Following a review of the process and taking yours and others feedback on board, we’ve requested Samsung and other manufacturers separate out their software and security updates, rather than combine them as they currently do – as we agree that it’s important to get these updates to our customers as quickly as we can. I’m pleased to say Samsung has now agreed to do this approach on a number of their devices moving forward."

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I don't see how Vodafone is sending out nougat to S6 as Samsung has delayed it indefinitely due to issues.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@BrendonH wrote:

I don't see how Vodafone is sending out nougat to S6 as Samsung has delayed it indefinitely due to issues.

I'd heard the issues were with Vodaphone but not sure how true that was.  It appears issues are fixed and Vodaphone have leapfrogged everyone and are releasing the update even before unbranded. 

S6 Vodaphone update - Germany.

Edit..  Also showing in Romania and Cyprus.  Vodaphone branded. 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I'd love some information on that.  How could Vodaphone spot and issue and resolve and release in days all whilst following the same process as other carriers.

I strongly suspect EE has no contract or a lesser contract with the manufacturers.  In a convo with a manager he did state they had no SLA or agreement with the manufacturers and EE was at the mercy..

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Yup SamMobile has just announced it.

I have the edge so I looked on the wrong model number earlier.

I'll probably have my S8 before I get Nougat.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Vodafone are quite bad in testing their firmware. So yes they may have found the initial issue but that may have been fixed by Samsung and Samsung may have issued this to all networks. Maybe this was couple days ago. Maybe Vodafone just went oh well lets send it out.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Sammobile confirms rollout

Here's the link confirming Sam mobile.. 

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I wonder if Vodaphone have made a donation to be the first to get Nougat 😉 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Reports of the edge also in the UK getting Nougat on Vodafone on that report.

So I shouldn't be too far behind then. I have H3G firmware.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.