Highlighted
by
Investigator

Data usage counted incorrectly with add-on

I first discovered this problem some time ago and today ran into the same issue, so it hasn't been fixed! Sorry that its a bit long winded, but its a bit of a complex situation.

The problem occurs when your data plan is made up of multiple allowances. E.g. My current plan includes 10gb, with an additional 5gb free add-on. EE's systems only seem to recognise the first element. e.g. 10gb. My data 'runs out', yet still shows 34% remaining from the add-on.co.uk page. The EE app states its run out however. (66% of 15gb being 9.9gb)

The last time I had this issue, I was in fact on a different plan, but the issue was the same. I kept running out of data and on several times purchased additional data. Each time I spoke with EE, they said I had ran out of data, but couldn't tell me how much I had used. I found this very odd, which is what raised my suspicion, and ultimately led me to uncovering this system error.

I managed to get to the bottom of it when I was once referred through to a Tier 1 tech (not your usual CS reps on the phone) who after some discussions diagnosed what was going on. He also explained that the regular customer rep can't actually see your usage when it has run out, the system just states that it has run out. This is what causes a bit of a battle, as the rep can't believe that the system is wrong, and can't understand what the customer is saying.

In summary, there is a problem with EE's systems that has been around for quite a while now and it appears hasn't been fixed. I spoke with another rep today after 'running out' of data and gave him an overview of the problem, to which he didn't believe me, but out of goodwill gave me some data to get through till refresh in 2 days time.

EE, please can you look into this as I'm a bit perplexed its still happening.

8 REPLIES
by
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Data usage counted incorrectly with add-on

[ Edited ]

Hello @astableford for account specific issues you will need to speak to ustomer service or Live Chat. There is no access allowed to check any of these details through here. Smiley Happy:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/EE-Live-Chat-ways-to-chat-online/m-p/527811

by
EE Employee

Good Afternoon @astableford

As @Tom222 advised we don't have any account access on the forum.

This definitely sounds like something that needs to be investigated by our level 2 tech teams - especially as it's happened more than once.

Are you a pay as you go or pay monthly customer?

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by
Investigator

Hi Karen.

I'm a pay monthly.

I have posted on the forum to highlight this problem in the public domain and to assist anyone else that faces the same problems. As i explained, I have tried numerours times with EE support, but to no avail. The way I see it, its an EE problem for which I have tried to shine a light on. It's now over to you!!

I suggest that this is taken to the relevant support tech for an investigation as a whole, as I'm not sure how it can just be me? But feel free to contact me if you need specifics.

Kind Regards

by
EE Employee

Hi @astableford

Thanks for getting back to me!

With this type of issue it needs to be raised against your number and unfortunately we don't have any account access.

If it's previously been looked into for you there will be notes on your account to help the agent you get through to.

Sorry we can't help further on the community.

by
Investigator

Update:

I have been in contact with technical support. As I said previously, when you run out of data they cannot see your actual usage, other than "computer says you have run out". They can however request a Level 2 tech to provide the actual data usage for the previous month. This has now been requested and apparently should be available on the 27th April when I call back. 

Its extremely frustrating as it seems that the EE system has enough power to cut your data off, yet no actual human being can intervene and tell you what your usage is.

I will update further.

by
EE Employee

Hi @astableford

Thanks for popping back with the update - definitely let us know how it goes.

As well as providing you with the data, are level 2 also investigating why it's not allowing you to use your additional data add-on?

It may also be worth downloading a data manager app.

by
Investigator

Update:
After an hour and half on the phone with technical support, we finally got to the bottom of the problem.
As I had previously said, the problem is the exact same problem that I had in a previous EE contract of a few years ago. Am I unlucky, or is it a much wider problem that nobody has highlighted before?

In summary, the problem is when a plan is made up of multiple data allowances. In my case, my 15gb was unknowingly made up of 10gb with a 5gb 'boost'. My assumption at this stage, is when negotiating with the sales representatives, they have the standard plans which tally with the publicly available plans, but then top it up with boosts as a sales tactic.
Theses boosts are not compatible in some way, so even though all the systems say that you have 15gb available, the system only 'see's the first allowance, then cuts off at this point. The second Level 2 rep in this conversation knew this and thought it was to do with my plan being a shared plan. The first Level 2 rep was useless.

They have no option but to remove the boost from the plan, as it cant actually be used. The manager on that day then had the cheek to ask me to pay more to go onto a higher plan. I obviously told them that all I wanted, was to get what I was paying for, at the price I was paying. For this, they have to put me on a higher plan and discount it.

EE
You therefore have 2 problems which need urgent attention.
1. You have the problem in the first place. You either need to fix the problem, or stop miss-selling plans which customers have no way of actually using.

2. Handing of the issue with your customers. - Your customer reps have no idea that there is a problem, and insist that the customer is wrong, and that all data has been used, and advise you to purchase more. Additionally, when you try to prove that this is a problem, its a massive uphill battle to get the data and through to a rep which genuinely listen's to the customer. The initial problem being, that the reps can't actually see or tell you how much data has been used when its run out. They say that their system only tells them that its all been used up. Just like calls or texts, they should be able to say, you have used XYgb so far, and have XYgb remaining. They refuse to believe that there might be a problem.

I look forward to your response on how you will take this issue forward.
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @astableford 

Unfortunately, as previously mentioned, we are unable to access any customer's account.

If you are not happy with the way this has been handled please do see our guide on ways to complain.

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.