by Zulu1Ghz Investigator
Investigator

Clarity on Tethering with video data pass

I’d like some clarity on the policy of using the video pass via Tethering. 

My my kids like to watch Netflix and we’re going on a 6 hour car journey, ideally I’d like them to be able to use the iPads in the car and watch their shows to pass the time and help with my ear ache 😂

However i I find the T&Cs a little vague around If the data consumed via Tethering will be counted under the video pass or not. 

Confirmation on would be great. 

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Clarity on Tethering with video data pass

@Zulu1Ghz   No it’ll not be covered,  the connection will be to your device and that will not be used to watch the Apps that are covered by the video data pass.    

by Zulu1Ghz Investigator
Investigator

Thank you. Just saved me £8!

by InvisibleOneL
Visitor

It worked for me, have an iPhone XR and have it tethered to a Windows 10 laptop, PS4, Sony TV and an iPad.

I think as long as you use the official Netflix App on all of them it doesn’t use any of your data. Have used 33gb of free data so far so it’s working. It’ll obviously use data for anything other than videos though.

Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Re: Clarity on Tethering with video data pass & ROKU

Interesting thread.

I have a Roku Streaming stick which I use on a boat and it has BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime and TV Player which are all 'supported' by EE Video Streaming?

If the local wifi spot is too slow, I want to use my phone as the access point by tethering the Roku stick to it. The concept works, BUT it would be nice to know if the Video Pass will recognise these apps on the ROKU device?

Thanks

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @svanetempest,

Welcome back to the community.

We will not stop you from tethering other devices to your mobile device. However, the EE Video Pass is not designed for this type of use and so we cannot guarantee that any data you use when tethering will be zero rated.

Thanks

James

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Thanks James.

The intention is only for very occasional use in the summer, not long term, so perhaps I will get the pass and try it as it is only £8 on a month by month basis with no long term contract.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @svanetempest 

Thank you for taking the time to post today! 😀

I recently had to tether my laptop to my Pixel 2 because my home broadband went down, and I continued to watch TVPlayer and when I checked on my usage through MyEE, it said I had saved 15GB.

I have also connected my Roku Box to my Pixel and watched BBC iPlayer and TVPlayer while in a hotel on a business trip and again when signed into MyEE, it was reporting I had saved data. 😀

by Zulu1Ghz Investigator
Investigator

Following up on my original post. 

I did (in the end) decide to test the pass and can confirm that with my iPad Pro tethered to my iPhone the kids could watch Netflix and the data came from the data pass and not my main data allowance. Happy days 😀

To to be honest this makes perfect sense as it’s still the same data and the kids went from watching it on my phone to the bigger screen, so the actual amount of data consumed is no different, just the device mechanics. 

Of of course when they switched to YouTube when I wasn’t looking then it used my data allowance but that’s perfectly understandable. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @Zulu1Ghz

Thank you for taking the time to reply! 😀

If you still have your Video Pass, you'll be pleased to hear that YouTube is now included in the Video Pass. 😀

by amitmaj Contributor
Contributor

This maybe a silly question but how do you know if you have saved data via the video pass. Is there an option on the EE app or do you just check your total GB hasn’t gone down?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @amitmaj

Thanks for coming back to the community.

You can stream content with the EE Video Data Pass in the UK and in EU member countries, on selected video apps without using your plan’s data allowance.

The EE Video Data Pass will cover the data you use when you're streaming content e.g the show you've chosen to watch from one of the selected video apps covered.

However, it doesn't cover data that's required for things like accessing or browsing the content providers app or for any adverts within an app.

The EE Video Data Pass includes an additional 200MB of data and this additional data allowance will be used in the same way as your plan's data allowance.

You can view your data allowance in the My EE app 🙂

Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.