Highlighted
by EE Community Manager
EE Community Manager

5G is here!

5G_launch_Community_980x980_v2.jpg

Everything just got a lot faster!

Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock for the past few months, you’ll know that here at EE we’ve been gearing up for the launch of 5G – and are beyond excited about it. And now, oh joy of joys, the day is finally here.

Last night we had our most anticipated launch ever – and boy was it impressive.

You may have seen news of the big EE 5G extravaganza on the Thames in Central London, where none-other than platinum-selling Stormzy performed an incredible 5G-powered gig.

I mean – the whole thing was powered by our brand-spanking new 5G network. The stage lighting, the speakers, the mic – maybe even Stormzy himself. That’s pretty impressive right? It certainly put into context all the crazy stuff I’ll be able to do with my mobile in the launch cities right now, and soon in a good number more too.

Using the latest 5G and remote production technology, EE broadcast the event on across social media to millions of fans. The South-London grime star lit up the night with tracks from his award-winning debut album, rapping his way through hits including Cold, Big For Your Boots and his most recent number one single, Vossi Bop. Stormzy delivered an electrifying performance, announcing he was launching an "EE 5G ting" and imploring his "epic energy crew to please, wherever you are, to jump up and down, dance, enjoy yourselves." But if you missed it you can watch the highlights of the 5G-powered audio-visual spectacular right here>  Once you’ve watched the highlights I doubt you’ll be able to Shut Up about it for weeks.

800_tnr-ee-5g-07-575368.jpgThe event is the first of its kind to be live streamed over EE’s new 5G network, with the gig also made available as a 360-degree VR experience across the five other 5G switch-on cities; Cardiff, Edinburgh, Belfast, Birmingham and Manchester. Photo credit: Matt Crossick/PA Wire

Stormzy clearly enjoyed himself too:Big up EE, thank you for letting me launch your 5G network in the UK. Tonight was sick, I’m honoured to be part of history."

And as if that wasn’t enough, to celebrate the launch we’re dishing out a new rocket badge to everyone that logs in to the EE Community today. Launch, rocket – get it? And there’s the chance to get your hands on a special 5G fan badge – just get involved with anything 5G. Tell us what you think, leave a comment, write your own blog article – whatever you fancy.

And if you’re not fully up to scratch on all things 5G, we’ve loads of articles to read across the EE Community - just search 5G in the search bar above and we'll recommend some of our favourites.

So are you ready? Are you excited? Did you catch a glimpse of Stormzy last night? Let us know below.

Tiff

Community Manager and 5G fan

D7wxxgdXsAIFMpd.jpg

Community guidelines Community stars programme

Meet the EE Community teamHow to use the community
16 REPLIES 16
by Gary_H Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Re: 5G is here!

Yeah that's great, just have to wait until next Friday when my Samsung s10 5g turns up.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @Gary_H 

Exciting times 🙂 , whilst you wait you have been awarded a 5G fan badge which you thoroughly deserve for ordering a 5G device 😁

To find out what badges you have already earned, click on your profile picture from the home screen, then under badges, you will see more.

Hope you come back and let us know what you think next week! 🎉

Have a lovely weekend.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

5G only just being released.

Samsung is looking forward and is starting research into 6G 🤣

https://www.sammobile.com/2019/06/04/samsung-6g-network-research/

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I picked up my Oneplus 7 pro 5G phone on Saturday from my local Walsall Store and have have tested the 5G capabilities in Birmingham.

So far so good and impressive download 150mb in one instance and over 200 in another.

Only thing Im disappointed with is its showing a firmware download update from One Plus but fails to install. OnePlus support site does indicate some people are having errors and to ignore update and they hope to have a new version by end of this week.

by

Good Afternoon @davecres

Thanks for coming to the community. 

I am sorry to hear that you are unable to download the updated.

I have sent you a private message for further information. 

Katie 🙂

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hello,

Can I ask the following?

If I was to upgrade to a 5G compatible device, but sign up onto a 4G plan (due to coverage), can I change plan mid-contract to the 5G plan, or do I need to totally re-contract?

Established Contributor

It depends what contract you are on. I was on a upgrade anytime contract as long as I send my old phone back. If you are on that kind of contract as long as the price of your new contract is the same as your old one or more then it then you can upgrade. Best thing to do is probably call there upgrade department.

Hope this is helpful.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Thanks - I was just wondering if it was just as easy as doing a tariff change as 5G plans are £5 more but no point getting it until coverage is available.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

You can always up your tariff to a more expensive plan. You just wouldn't be able to reduce it again.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Established Contributor

Also depends on if your device is compatible with 5g. Mine was the s10+ and that's not 5g compatible so I got the s10 5g one and sent the + back.

by curious13
Explorer

Hi, 

We are coming up against a lot of different objections about 5G in our area

Is there anywhere that we can get more information about specific details with the 5G masts? Or is there somebody that we can talk to about the science around 5G? 

Thank you

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@curious13   Have you seen THIS there is also another post from @TiffJ  on that thread as well.   

5G is in select areas at present and THIS link shows where. 

by curious13
Explorer

Thank you, that's very helpful

by networks Investigator
Investigator

Works well in London for us, not so well in Cardiff, so hope they are just teething issues!

5G EE NR will solve a lot of issues with signal, just really, really hope that they stick to the plan this time!

by Jammach

I’ve joined! Moving from O2 to EE as you’re the only network with decent coverage on the Isle of Arran (in 4g) where I holiday but you have 5g coverage in Edinburgh where I live.

Very excited to see how fast it is on the Oppo Reno 5G!

gav.

by

That's great to hear @Jammach 🙂

Please let us know your first impressions of the Reno.

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.