Pre-order iPhone XR on EE
Highlighted
by thefletch23
Explorer

will 4GEE router allow me to connect to Hive and Hue outside the home

Hi

I am considering getting the 4G home broadband because of the pitiful speeds I get from a fixed line. I know that I would be able to connect my hue lights and hive heating via an ethernet cable to the 4GEE router and use within the home network. But would I still be able to connect and control these smart home devices when I am outside the home - i.e. when I am at work will I be able to connect to the house and turn the heating/lights on off? I heard that this was not always possible with 4g systems because of how data is transferred

8 REPLIES
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: will 4GEE router allow me to connect to Hive and Hue outside the home

Hello @thefletch23 yes you can connect to the 4GEE Home router via ethernet. It is the same set up except the router is using a SIM card to connect to the internet instead of a fixed line.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, you will not be able to connect directly to your smart home devices thro' a MBB router when away from home.

EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net. This is unlike fixed BB.

However if their manufacturers provide an alternative Cloud-based access from their website you might be able to do it that way.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

There are multiple workarounds for CGNAT port forwarding that are not hard to find:

https://amoss.me/2017/05/port-forwarding-behind-a-carrier-grade-nat/

by thefletch23
Explorer

Thanks but that that looks very complicated!

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

It does look complicated at first I thought that but it is easy to get your head round once you start implementing it.

I have had a 4GEE Home router for about 18 months and no one had heard about it then but it seems to have exploded in popularity over the past couple of weeks especially now EE are offering an external antenna kit. I imagine soon they will start looking in to things like this and changing them as smart home systems get more popular too.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @thefletch23,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I believe this setup should work, once the Hive Hub is connected to your router, you should be able to control your heating via the Hive app.

If you contact Hive support, they should be able to confirm this for you.

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It is. I wouldn't want to set 1 up. Also it's written for Unix/Linux, not Windows.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by GW4DVB
Visitor

I tried connecting a Hive View camera and a Dyson HC02 (Hot & Cold Filter Fan) to the 4GEE router but they will either not register or stay connetced.

I contacted Hive Support and they say that 'None' of their products are guaranteed to work via Mobile Broadband Routers.

Same response form Dyson !!!

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.