by klaserie Investigator
Investigator

can two Osprey 2 wireless routers on the same account connect together

I have 1 osprey 2 OPEN and 1 osprey 2 closed on my account, the open one is able to connect with my NVR wireless security system, The closed one I want to take to France , and be able to contact in UK via ee wireless facility to my open Osprey 2, enabling me to obseve my property on my laptop. 

12 REPLIES 12
by klaserie Investigator
Investigator

Re: can two Osprey 2 wireless routers on the same account connect together

Thank you all for your input to this question I posted, Have been informed
by EE technical people I don't need 2 x Osprey 2 devices to achieve the
connection, the unlocked unit will connect via EE network to my NVR from
anywhere there is a EE wireless Wifi available.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

What do you mean by "Open" & "Closed"?

@klaserie wrote:

the open one is able to connect with my NVR wireless security system

From where?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by klaserie Investigator
Investigator

Locked , unlocked

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hello @klaserie EE use CGNAT on their network so port forwarding/inbound access to the router is not normally possible.

You can use the device abroad in France. Make sure the account is set up by enabling roaming and call abroad/premium rate first:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Roaming/EE-roaming-Getting-ready-to-use-your-phone-abroad/td-p/532570

France is part of the EE Europe zone so you can take your UK allowances abroad with you:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Roaming/Using-your-EE-allowance-when-Roaming/td-p/567933

by
EE Employee

Hi @klaserie and welcome to the community.

So I can try and assist, may I know are you wanting to use a foreign SIM in your unlocked Osprey 2?

Many thanks,

Lee

by klaserie Investigator
Investigator

Hi Lee, No both units have difference sim cards both from EE and are linked to the same account. in other words i have 2 Oprey units one unlocked and one locked, the unlocked unit is linked to my NVR, the closed one cannot link with the NVR. To operate my laptop in France I am taking my locked unit with me so I can use my phone and laptop there, my question is will I be able to connect to my unit in the uk using ee wireless link up 

by klaserie Investigator
Investigator

EE own the Osprey 2 unit for 6 months After it can be unlocked and the NVR
can connect to this router. Any new Router or any other device sold by EE
will be owned by them (locked) for 6 months then it becomes yours if you
have bought the unit outright, and can be unlocked to connect to what ever
wireless system you have.
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

You can unlock an EE device you purchased yourself using the online form here:

http://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/unlock-your-phone/unlock-a-ee-device-to-...

The process takes up to 10 days and costs £8.99 if you are still in contract with the device and is free if you are not. Full details on unlocking an EE PAYM device can be found here:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Unlocking-your-device/How-to-unlock-your-EE-pay-monthly-phone-or-devic...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@klaserie wrote:

the unlocked unit is linked to my NVR, the closed one cannot link with the NVR.

Both should be able to connect your NVR from inside your home. Their locked status does not have any bearing on what you can connect to them. It only affects what network SIMs you can put in them.

Where are you connecting from to access the NVR via the unlocked device? Just from inside your home or from out-and-about?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@klaserie wrote:
the unlocked unit will connect via EE network to my NVR from anywhere there is a EE wireless Wifi available.

That's not true! You will not be able to connect directly to your internal devices thro' a MBB router when away from home.

EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net. This is unlike fixed BB.

And the EE network isn't EE wireless Wifi but a mobile signal.

by klaserie Investigator
Investigator

The unit I have is an Osprey 2 mini wireless mobile router. Because it uses
a mobile sim card it will continue to connect to EE wireless, That;s what
EE have told me
by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, the SIM connects to EE's mobile signal. The Wifi is only within your home.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.