by Mattay81 Investigator
Investigator

bounce.mobi subscription - is this a scam?

Hello all,

So I have a EE 4GEE Wifi generator.  It costs me £30 a month and is being used until we have a landline and broadband installed.  I received my last bill and noticed there were extra charges added.  Confused, I looked and saw that I had a £2.50 'extra' from Bounce.mobi added to my account and this had racked up charges of £12.50 so far.  I queried this with EE whose customer service agents were next to useless.  All they could say was that I had subscribed to the 'service' and was being charged £2.50 a week.  They could not tell me how or why I was being charged, I had to contact Bounce.mobi to find out.

I contacted Bounce.mobi and was told that I had clicked on a subscription banner through my device and then had clicked on a confirm banner as well.  When I told them that the device in question was a portable wifi generator and didn't have a screen nor receive text messages, so couldn't possibly have clicked on any banner or confirmed it, they then changed their tune.  They said it then could have been a device connected to the wifi which must have clicked on these screens and therefore activated their subscription service.  Only myself and my wife connect to this device and neither of us have done so. 

My question is this; if a device connects to a portable wifi generator such as mine, can they rack up charges on said wifi account through subscription services such as these?  After all, any other standard wifi does not do this.  The EE customer service agent could not answer this for me.  I did reply to Bounce.mobi saying that I was currently sat in a hotel (as I was for work at the time) and using the hotels free wifi, if I clicked on one of their banners and subscribed would it then charge Travelodge for their services?  They neglected to answer that in their reply but we know the answer is no, that would not be the case.

Can anyone help?

5 REPLIES
by Legend
Legend

Re: bounce.mobi subscription - is this a scam?

Hi, 

Your 4G wifi is a sim and essentially a mobile line like the one you use in your phone. If you click on one of these banners, quiz, Facebook banner etc etc... In the small point it will say it's billing your mobile account.  The same would happen if someone was tethered to your phone and clicked on the same banner your account would be billed.

The best solution is to ask EE to block premium numbers. 

Travel lodge wouldn't be billed if you are using fixed line broadband. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Mattay81 Investigator
Investigator

Thank you for your reply. 

EE have blocked further charges from this company already after speaking to them.  But neither of us have clicked on any such banner and then a confirm screen so still at a loss as to how this occurred.  But if it is the case that charges can be added to the account, I guess it's time to cancel as it is shocking that it is allowed to add charges to what is a wifi device, whether it is sim or not.

by Legend
Legend

Hi, 

Like everything online you have to be careful. This banners/pop ups saying "spin the dice" "which answer is correct" on and on are all designed to be clicked on innocently, but the small print says you agree to pay £xx per month. Mobile based products are more susceptible as they allow mobile billing by default.

They are a plague, which isn't helped by carrier who also benefit from these charges. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Mattay81

Welcome to the community.

I understand that you have now blocked these services. If you would like to look for a re-imbursement, I recommend contacting the provider of the BounceMobi Games service directly.

Here are their details:

Third party name: PM Connect

Description: BounceMobi Games subscription service.

Contact details: 0330 122 4968 games@bounce.mobip

Chris

by hmv04196 Investigator
Investigator

For your information - the company behind Bounce Games is PM Connect, 4th Floor Colmore Gate 2-6 Colmore Row Birmingham West Midlands B3 2QD. Website - www.pmconnect.co.uk/

Their managing director is James MacFarlane. This is his linked in page - www.linkedin.com/in/james-macfarlane-87913114/

This is PM Connect's linked in page - www.linkedin.com/company/pmconnect/

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.