Highlighted
by
Explorer

any advantage using ethernet?

I live in a rural setting with very poor broadband speeds. For this reason I am using the Huawei B525 with iMac, iPad and iPhone. I get excellent speeds and good connectivity.

Yesterday I used it for a conference call and it worked very well. However we were advised to use an ethernet connection. This may be a very stupid question but would this apply to a 4g router? In other words is there any point in plugging in to the WAN? Or does that only apply to the usual type of wifi router that uses a BT connection rather than 4g?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: any advantage using ethernet?

Hi @Hillyp

If you're getting good speeds and connectivity over WiFi, I'd recommend continuing to use that. It's what 4G routers are designed to do.

You can use an ethernet cable to connect some 4G routers to other devices if you wanted to though.

Did they say why you were recommended to use ethernet? Is it possible that this was recommended for those who don't have a good connection?

Chris

Highlighted
by
Explorer

Thanks. That is what I thought. I think the advice came about because we are all starting to teach online and some people have dodgy wifi connections as was evidenced in the meeting!
Anyway glad to have my thoughts confirmed.
Hilary
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ethernet is far more reliable & consistent than WiFi. Use it where you can.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.