by Gadfly01 Investigator
Investigator

Wi connection in usa

Hi, I am in the USA trying to use my mobile WiFi box. I have a MAx plan  and have had settings checked by the EE stag on line and in a shop before departing and was assured by both that I will have 15gb of data available and roaming for USA is set up correctly. My WiFi box is on with WiFi icon lit blue as expected but signal icon is red. I can connect to the WiFi with my other gadgets (iPhone/iPad but unable to connect to any servers. Browsing page goes to EE but not loading to other pages. Please help me to get this working.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Wi connection in usa

You sure you have a Max plan on your mobile BB router & not just your phone? That's not usual.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Gadfly01   The WiFi device will not work outside of the EU you’ve been misinformed.  

by Gadfly01 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the reply Chris_B, I’m not happy if this is the case as I have been assured it would on a number of occasions. I have sent a complaint to get an answer as to why this advice was given. Do you know if I put the sim into another unlicked device whether I would be able to use the service. I’m thinking of buying a cheap phone and tethering???

kind regards

Gadfly01

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

You sure you have a Max plan on your mobile BB router & not just your phone? That's not usual.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Gadfly01 Investigator
Investigator

I do not have a phone plan with EE? just mobile BB plan and mobile mini box. Phone plan is with another provider. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You're unlikely to have a Max Plan on those. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Gadfly01 

Welcome to the community, I'm sorry to hear that you may have been given the wrong information.

Hopefully, the complaints team will be able to look into this and find a solution for you.

In the mean time, if you do happen to be on an EE Max plan, you'll be able to use your SIM in a compatible, unlocked phone to tether.

If you're not on a Max plan, you'll be given the option to purchase a data add-on once the SIM is in and connected to a network.

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

by Gadfly01 Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I have moved the SIM card to my unlocked mobile phone snd spoken with customer support who have confirmed my plan as a MAX plan and that the WiFi mini box I have is compatible to work in the USA. 2nd line support have suggested it appears the box is locked into EE is not automatically switching providers. They have asked me to connect the box to a computer via USB and delete EE as the provider so the box is forced to connect to a local provider e.g. T-mobile and the box should then work. Unfortunately I do not have access to a computer to try this solution. Moving the sim does allow my family to tether on to my iPhone and access the data as expected. Not ideal as I no longer have access to make calls as my plan is for data & text only. I will now need to purchase a basic phone that will take my SIM card and allows for making calls. If I get an opportunity (time & access) I will try the suggested solution and see if I can force the box to look for a local provider. I’ll update if I am able.

Thank you all for your comments to try and help resolve this problem.

Kind regards

Gadfly01

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.