by Elina
Explorer

What speed will the mobile wifi box let me get? Does it depend on the postcode?

What speed will the mobile wifi box let me get? Does it depend on the postcode as well? Because my area gets up to 11mbps. Will I be able to get higher than that? And if so, how much higher?

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: What speed will the mobile wifi box let me get? Does it depend on the postco

@Elina : You'll get the same speeds as for a phone. Why should it be any higher? Have you looked at the EE Coverage Checker ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Elina
Explorer

Re: What speed will the mobile wifi box let me get? Does it depend on the postco

Hello! I did check but the thing is I want to play online on my ps4 and my
postcode can only get up to 11mbps (standard broadband). My question is
will I be able to get a better connection than that with the mobile wifi?
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Elina

Welcome to the community. 

The coverage checker will let you know if you're within a 4G area. Speeds can vary though depending on numerous factors.

If you have an EE phone, or know someone who has, check the mobile internet speed through a speed checker site/app.

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Are you asking whether a mobile signal in your area will be any faster then the 11 Meg standard fixed BB that you are getting currently? It'll certainly be more variable.

Be aware that there could be issues using game consoles over the mobile network, particularly if you are hosting games for outsiders to join. It's questionable whether you can get the right "NAT Type" that these game consoles demand.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Elina
Explorer

By variable you mean that it can potentially be faster than what I'm
getting right now?
I have read that other people have managed to play ps4 online on those
mobile wifi boxes. Even on cellphone tethering (hotspot).
I would not want to commit to a 2 year contract if i cannot achieve what i
am trying to do, in this case play in faster speed than what my postcode
supports.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, I mean that whatever the speed it could change significantly from 1 time to another. Whereas with fixed BB it will stay at the same speed for days, weeks & even months at a time and even when it re-syncs it will be at much the same speed as before.

I've no idea where you are & the building you're in. So I can't say what you'll get there. The only way for you to find out is to do a few speedtests on the mobile network. Get yourself a PAYG SIM & test it.

These other peeps who play PS4 online, were they on EE? I was only talking about the EE network specifically.

You don't need to commit to a 2 or even 1 (as they come) year contract. You could have a rolling 30-day contract by paying £100 for the MBB router up front.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.