by Techwizard Contributor
Contributor

WIFI Calling & Signal Box

Problem - cannot make WIFI calls indoors.

WIFI Download Speed 59Mbs

WIFI Upload Speed 18Mbs

Router Brightbox2

All settings on iPhone 7 correct

EE reset been carried out with changes.

Level 2 support believe there is a EE Signal box in close proximity which my phone is connecting to at a low speed and not allowing me to go straight out through my own router.

Q1.  No solution was provided

Q2. A breach of security allowing me access a third party EE router via Signal Box which without to much trouble could enable me to access the router and another users network.

Any help would be appreciated to solve this issue. 

13 REPLIES
by Legend
Legend

Re: WIFI Calling & Signal Box

Hi, 

Turn off the signal box and use wi-fi calling over your WiFi network. 

You don't need a signal box if your phone has WiFi calling.

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Access to a Signal Box does not give you access to its router's network. They are kept separate.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

Hi thanks for reply

The problem is I don’t have a Signal box and don’t know it’s location

Contributor

The thing is I am still useing someone else’s data and Router, surely there must be a way to stop this happening?

by Maestro
Maestro

The 2 are not linked though.

The handset connects to an EE signal box using a cellular 3G signal.  WiFi calling uses the handsets WiFi connection to your router.

With EE's WiFi calling service, even if you have a cellular signal of any strength, WiFi calling should still take priority over that and should still connect.

What happens if you put your handset in airplane mode and then turn on just the WiFi leaving all cellular services off?

Edit to add - are you using the developer / beta version of iOS 11.3 on your iPhone by any chance?  If so EE WiFi calling is behaving a bit erratically with that at the minute sometimes working, sometimes not; but with it being a developer/beta, there's not much you can do unfortunately.

Contributor

Hi

if I turn off cellular data and leave airplane mode off It stiill connects to cellular.

if I turn off cellular data and switch airplane mode on then I just get WIFI connection.

Neither brings up WIFI call, not sure how to fix this

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Techwizard  Turn on wifi calling give it time to connect then turn on airplane mode.  Wifi calling should then reconnect.   You now using your wifi to get you a signal. 

Contributor

Hi

i have tried this but problem still exists.

Im thinking now this could be a port forwarding issue with the router.

In a packet capture UDP 500 (IKEv2)

UDP 4500 (IKEv2) are closed so if I use QOS this might sort out the problem with the Signal Box.

Any comments or views would be appreciated.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @Techwizard

Thanks for trying these steps.

Are you able to try another phone at all, to see if this works ok?

Thanks. Leanne.

Contributor

Hi Leane

i have tried WIFI calling on two iPhone 7’s and one 6plus with the same issue.

later today I’m going to see if I can open up ports on router.

Dave

by Maestro
Maestro

What router and ISP are you using?

Generally, no router changes are required on most standard set-up ISP supplied routers.

Edit - sorry just re-read your first post and it's EE broadband.  Nothing should require changing in the router settings.

Have your tried rebooting your router at all?  Don't do this too often though being on a fibre connection.

Contributor

Hi I am going to swap Brightbox2 over for a Netgear DM200 Modem only and use a Airport Time capsule to provide routing etc.

Will let you know how I get on.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Your Port Forwarding settings have nowt to do with the Signal Box. They are only for self-initiated incoming traffic.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.