by Solomace Investigator
Investigator

Using 4GEE WIFI MINI for gaming on ps4

Hi all, 

I'm currently with O2 using the hotspot on my Oneplus 5T phone. It allows me to play Fifa but not update fifa ingame. It allows me to play Nioh, but I cannot summon anyone and it just seems to block them. GTA5 works fine.

Someone suggested it's because O2 blocks P2P connections and when I've read on the O2 website, it does say it's hotspots block p2p. 

I'm thinking of buying the 4gee wifi mini and Im wanting to know if anyone has played games on it with no issues in updating or connecting or any of the above. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and if it's a go, It's so bought tomorrow 🙂

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Using 4GEE WIFI MINI for gaming on ps4

@Solomace: EE don't block P2P but the EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net. This is unlike fixed BB. This may mean that other players cannot join you in games. I cannot say whether O2 do the same but ask on their Community or search it for 'CGNAT'.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Solomace Investigator
Investigator

Ahh, so I could still have th same issues on EE. 

Okay friend, thanks for the info and I will look into further. No point in me spending money on this wifi mini if it's still going to be the same issue.

Thanks again.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

Yes, check out O2 for CGNAT. I think many mobile networks do due the quantity of mobile phones vs, shortage of IP addys.

EDIT: Just checked my own O2 mobile. It thinks its external IP is 10.160.156.100, a private network allocated by O2 but its visible public IP is 82.132.184.xx, an IP from the O2 Online (UK) pool. That is the signature of CGNAT.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

It will be no different playing games going from O2 to EE Mobile. They both employ CGNAT.

by Solomace Investigator
Investigator

Thanks again mate for taking the time to respond. 

Looks like it's back to the drawing board and trying to circumvent my works WIFI blocking my PS4. 

It's a disgrace having to work at work!!!! 🙂

Highlighted
by
EE Employee

Hi @Solomace and welcome to the community.

Hope the information given to you by @XRaySpeX has helped.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions