by fionah Investigator
Investigator

Using 4GEE WIFI Device for business - Can I use to connect to VPN to work server

I have 4 x 4GEE Wifi Devices via EE Business that have been issued to my sales team to use with their laptops to connect via VPN to the work server except IT WILL NOT WORK!

I telephoned EE and they tell me that the 4GEE devices are only for providing a connection to browse the internet and not designed to provide an external VPN connection. My IT support people tell me that the devices are prbably not GRE enabled but I cannot see anything within settings to change this. Really disappointed as the main purpose of these was so that my staff could connect into the server remotely when away from work. Does anyone have any experience of this and any suggestions please?

10 REPLIES 10
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Using 4GEE WIFI Device for business - Can I use to connect to VPN to work se

Good afternoon @fionah

Thank you for joining the community 🙂

I am looking into this for you, to try and get a definitive answer.

Thank you

Richard

:)​​​​​​​

by

Re: Using 4GEE WIFI Device for business - Can I use to connect to VPN to work se

Hi @fionah

Please can you confirm the following.

The make and model of the devices?

Thanks

Richard

Smiley Happy

by fionah Investigator
Investigator

4GEE Wifi (Black / Yellow Box) - EE60VB-2AE8GB3

by fionah Investigator
Investigator

The laptop we are using with the 4GEE Device is a Fujitsu Lifebook A Series Laptop Win 7 - We also have some Galaxy Tab E Tablets they use too.

by

Thank you @fionah

I am now going to have a look into this

Thank you

Richard

🙂

by

Hi @fionah

Just me again Smiley Happy

Iv'e done a little digging on this and I’d suggest that you check that you're able to connect to the Internet through the device?

If you can, then the problem isn’t with the device or the mobile network, and so the problem could lie with the configuration of the VPN software on the laptop or the server.

Please also try and reset the Mobile WiFi device to factory defaults and try again.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

by fionah Investigator
Investigator

Hi Richard,

We can connect to the internet fine with the 4GEE device.

The VPN connection on this laptop is fine when using my home broadband or office wifi. No problem connecting. My IT support have checked the VPN connection too and it is OK.

The problem seems to be when we are connected to the 4GEE device - it will not allowing connection via VPN to the server:

It says:

"Error 806: The VPN connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be completed. The most common cause for failure is that at least one Internet device (for example, a firewall or a router) between your computer and the VPN server is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) protocol packets. If the problem persists, contact your network administrator or Internet Service Provider."

I have also logged into the 4GEE device as you suggested and reset to factory settings and this has made no difference I'm afraid.

My IT support people suggested that my 4GEE device needs to be "GRE enabled" but I can't find how you would do this.

Please advise.

Thank you.

by

Hi @fionah

I shall send this information over and try and get a response.

Please bear with me

Thanks

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Who is your Home BB ISP?

Just a guess. EE mobile network operates with IPV6. Does your VPN? Many consumer home BB only use IPv4.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by

Hi @fionah

Just me again.

You may be able to get round this by enabling SSTP (Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol) on the VPN client, but that relies on it being switched on on the server as well.

The instructions for the client will be on Microsoft's website here Using Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol (SSTP) from Windows VPN client

The instructions for the server will be in the website of whoever your VPN server provider is.

Please have a look at the Win7 VPN Won't connect - returns error code 806 discussion in the Microsoft community and hopefully you can get some clarity on this.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Richard

Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.