by Sparty
Explorer

Unlocked mobile broadband device problem

Hello

New poster here.

I have successfully unlocked my out of contract mobile broadband device - little yellow box - and now it won't connect with the new sim card. (not EE)

I can connect devices to it but it won't bring up any web pages. On the 168/192 page everything looks like it's ok except the connection dot is black and when I try to connect it says connecting then goes back to disconnected.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Sparty

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Unlocked mobile broadband device problem

Hi @Sparty

Those devices only connect to a limited number of network frequencies so it maybe your new network isn't compatible with the device.

Which network are you trying to use?

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Are you trying to use it abroad? If so, where?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Sparty
Explorer

Hi Northerner!

Thanks for the reply.

A Virgin sim I have already that has unlimited data so it would be great if I could use it!

It's a 3G sim but I was told by EE tech support that it should work.

by Sparty
Explorer

Hi XraySpex

Leicestershire ... 🙂

by Profile closed
Not applicable

You will probably need to manually create a new APN profile within the router settings as MBB devices generally don’t pick up their APN settings automatically from the SIM card.

You will need to know what he Virgn APN settings are and then log onto your MBB device and create a new APN profile specifically for the Virgin SIM.

Edit, here are Virgin Mobile UK APN settings you need to create a new profile:

Internet APN
Name: WEB
Dial Number *99# APN: goto.virginmobile.uk Authentication Type: CHAP Leave all other options blank/Not set

1. Log into your MMB devcie by surfing to 192.168.1.1
  2. Click on 'Settings' enter your username & password (the factory defualt for both these are admin (unless you have changed these yourself)
  3. Click on the  'Connection' tab then click 'Profile Management'
  4. Click 'New'
  5. Enter the details as above then click 'Save' and then click 'Set Default'
by Sparty
Explorer

Hi @Profile closed

Thanks for that. * edit - I hadn't seen your edit when I wrote this reply! Thanks again.

I can see where I need to do this and the APN stuff is available online but the profile requires a 'dial number' and I have no idea what this is! Can't seem to find much reference to these ...

The existing one for the EE sim is *99#

I'm baffled!

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Use the same one as for EE.  That code will work for any provider.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.