by Mark-R
Explorer

Son mis sold 4GEE

Hi All

looking for some guidance here.

We have our son moved back in with us after struggling with his bills whilst living on his own. This has resulted in him struggling with mental and eating issues and losing his job.

I am looking into his bills and whats been pushing him over the edge and EE is top of the list.

Back in August 2017 a "happy" Son said he would like to take over responsibility for his own bills and wanted to organise his own mobile rather than me doing it as had always been the case.

He got himself signed up in the local EE store for a new Iphone and what we now know was an 8GB contract for 2 years which runs until August 2019.  Having been responsible for his mobile contract for years it is now obvious that 8GB would be tight. But with the house he was sharing having Virgin Broadband all should be fine for his evening viewing of You Tube and Netflix.

Towards the end of last year he mentioned that EE had given him a free box to use for extra data. I thought this was a little strange but he assured me that they had told him was free.   It appears that they called him Sept/OCT 2018 calling him out of a work meeting. He was extremely rushed and agreed that he would take the free box and quickly had to get the caller off the phone at no point was it made clear that this box had a new contract for 2 years associated with it.  Indeed now looking at his bills it appears that EE have added another contract for this box at £40 per month  for 50GB running until October 2020 on top of the £32.99 month he is already paying.

Basically he is now paying 2 contracts taking £72.99 from his low wage.  Given the extra burden and the fact that he was on a low wage the cost has eaten into his very tight budget and on occasions this has meant that his Virgin bill has bounced leaving him with no WiFi. No worries EE has stepped in and kept offering him Top Ups allowing his phone to stream You Tube and Netflix all night while he is sleeping. Being too emabarassed that he may have been tricked he has kept quiet about this  until its all come to a head.

Obviously the "very helpful " extra data comes at a cost heres just some of the bill amounts on what started out at a £32.99 contract.

September 2018 £174.14

October 2018      £111.00

November 2018  £277.91

December 2018  £85.31

February 2019    £223.50

March 2019        £165.83

Yes he's used the data even if he was asleep , he was in-experieced its a life lesson that has really affected his health and left him in a bad way.

In hindsight EE could have increased the data allowance on his phone without this extra contract but appears from all the other cases that you can find about this (just google it) this is a commision based exercise that EE are notorious for.

I need to get him back on track and just looking at whats available I could move him to totally unlimited data and a new Iphone 7 for £40 month with Virgin. Just to make matters worse this is actually on EE network.

So really adding up his bills he has already paid EE about £1700 and looks like they want to tie him up on a £40 month contract until october 2020 even if I manage to move him to a better contract in August when his phone Contarct ends.

Given his poor health and now lack of job I would like to get him out of both these contracts to remove the burden and worry from him.

Can I get hold of the call recording to prove that he didn't actually agree to any contract do EE actually keep them.

Can anyone chip in with options or help here.

Thanks

Mark

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Son mis sold 4GEE

Hi @Mark-R 

EE complaints code of practice is here

He has agreed a contract and is bound by that until the term is up or you pay it off. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

My opinion is that you have no evidence of mis-selling other than a suspicion. Anecdotal postings from A Google search don’t prove anything. You weren’t there and your son was clearly not in a good place and making poor decisions.

Personally, I would be concentrating on getting my son sorted and straight,  so that he can manage his affairs , rather than the stress and embarrassment of a dramatic fight over a contract. 

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@Mark-R , so did he go beyond the 8 gigs on his phone and even beyond the 50 gigs on that additional box, too, to make his bills so high? To do that, if he has done, is frankly naive and thoughtless And he must accept that. He is an adult after all.

Regarding putting himself on the two tariffs he's on, again he ought to have listened and thought instead of rushing into the second deal. We don't have to take sales calls, and nor do we have to say yes to offers made to us. 

You or he could talk to EE but I don't think you can get out of the two deals he's on. You could, though, get zero Spend Caps put on both tariffs to stop any monthly spend on top of both of them. But then again he ought to not be using above his allowances anyway. The Spend Caps might help, though.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The second contract is to use the data by way of gifting it to his main contract. Unfortunately this approach is common on EE, rather than providing more data on the main tariff. This also means another "sale" for the agent. 

If this is a cheaper approach I cannot say, but this approach by EE is common from posts on this forum. My 70+ year old father also fell for this same trick. 

The OP needs to speak to CS. 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Mark-R
Explorer

Hi

I completely agree this appears to be common practice.

I get the "he's an Adult" comments . Don't want to make assumptions but i guess most of us on here are old enough and wise enough to know that nothings free and no cold caller is helping you out they are helping themselves , usually to your money in terms of commision.

The key thing here is that they have cold called him as his Phone Provider to say that we see you may need more data and we can help you out with this free box.

if they were offering true "Customer Service" they should have offered to increase his phone data until the end of contract , obviously for a higher payment (which obviously wouldn't have been £40 for 2 years) However driven by commision they have conned him into a 2nd device that he has to carry with him or transfer/gift data to his phone.

This device was never necessary and blatant underhand selling driven by commision.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Mark-R and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear of your son's situation and I sincerely hope he's on the mend.

Due to the nature of your post, I've sent you a private message to get some more information from you so that I can organise for someone to call you about this.

Please take a look and get back to me.

Thanks

Chris

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@Mark-R wrote:

Hi

I completely agree this appears to be common practice.

I get the "he's an Adult" comments . Don't want to make assumptions but i guess most of us on here are old enough and wise enough to know that nothings free and no cold caller is helping you out they are helping themselves , usually to your money in terms of commision.

The key thing here is that they have cold called him as his Phone Provider to say that we see you may need more data and we can help you out with this free box.

if they were offering true "Customer Service" they should have offered to increase his phone data until the end of contract , obviously for a higher payment (which obviously wouldn't have been £40 for 2 years) However driven by commision they have conned him into a 2nd device that he has to carry with him or transfer/gift data to his phone.

This device was never necessary and blatant underhand selling driven by commision.

Hi, @Mark-R , it's hard not to agree with you when you say it like that. I hope that your pending discussion with EE can sort something out for you. Those bills you quoted in your first post - in the hundreds per month - show a problem less with the two tariffs per se and more with his going beyond the allowances of any tariffs that he goes on. I think that Spend Caps on his accounts would be one thing to set up. He shouldn't need to go beyond that phone 8 gig and that gadget 50 gig. He could probably do with realising that there are such things as normal TV that he could sometimes watch. It's great that you are helping him to sort things out. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.