Highlighted
by Matt_EastDevon
Explorer

Running our own domain email server via 4G Connection

Could anyone enlighten me on this question. we run a small business and also run our own email server for our business.  we recently took out EE Pay as you go 4G Broadband and are looking to eventually upgrade this to to 4G broadband pay monthly as we currently do not have fibre services in our rural location and only very very slow and intermittent ADSL services until Openreach decide to eventually upgrade the network or an Alternative network decides to install there own locally, and leased lines are cost prohibitive to us. Will our email server work for incoming and outgoing mail if we set our Domain DNS to point to our public viewable IP address. I see that the router picks up a different address on the wan side of the router  100.x.x.x and going to a site to view my Ip shows up 203.x.x.x address. Some sort of Carrier Grade-Nat is in place due to global IPv4 Depletion. If anyone can be help that would be greatful. 

Cheers! Also my router HUAWEI B715-23c is not picking up an IPv6 address in bride mode to UniFi USG 4 pro even though ipv6 is enabled Wan and via DHCPv6. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Running our own domain email server via 4G Connection

You'll never be able to run an email server over mobile BB, at least not EE's.

@Matt_EastDevon wrote:

I see that the router picks up a different address on the wan side of the router  100.x.x.x and going to a site to view my Ip shows up 203.x.x.x address. Some sort of Carrier Grade-Nat is in place

That's your obstacle. You'll come up against a limitation of EE's mobile network. The EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
3 REPLIES 3
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

You'll never be able to run an email server over mobile BB, at least not EE's.

@Matt_EastDevon wrote:

I see that the router picks up a different address on the wan side of the router  100.x.x.x and going to a site to view my Ip shows up 203.x.x.x address. Some sort of Carrier Grade-Nat is in place

That's your obstacle. You'll come up against a limitation of EE's mobile network. The EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Matt_EastDevon
Explorer

Many thanks for your reply. Will have to either host with a VPS or use https://www.tunnelbroker.net by Hurricane electric and try an assign my static /64 ipv6 to my router and route over that.. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.