by johnhird Investigator
Investigator

Re: My 4G EE Router keeps turning off and only leaving the WiFi light on

Did anyone ever get a solution to this. My 4G router dies back to just the one lit LED the same as others have reported after a period of a few hours of no activity. The only solution is a power cycle reboot which is driving me mad. 

12 REPLIES
by
EE Community Support Team

Good Afternoon @johnhird

Welcome to the community. 

Have you reported this to our technical support team?

How long has this been happening?

Speak soon, Katie Smiley Happy

by johnhird Investigator
Investigator

Since new. Tech support just sent me a new one when i first discovered the problem a few days from new. The new ones does exactly the same as the original one. A google search appears to show lots with the same problem. I guess if you have a system that is always active you'd never know but in a home situation if packs up while i'm out at work and again overnight every day. 

I did connect up an ethernet hard drive and logged in to it from my PC and that kind of proved its an issue with being left inactive for a period as it stayed on with the HDD connected and active.

Is there a way to switch off this power saving or whatever?

by

Thank you for confirming this @johnhird

The 4G EE Home Router shouldn't need to power save as it does not have a battery and runs from the mains. 

Is this a mobile router?

Speak soon, Katie 

by johnhird Investigator
Investigator

It's the white home based 4G router.

by

Thank you for confirming this @johnhird

I would recommend getting back in touch with our technical team and letting them know your still experiencing these problems. 

Keep us posted on how you get on,

Katie Smiley Happy

by tsne16487 Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Nah to be hones the EE router is total garbage. I ordered a Huawei B525 and it is the best thing I did. it has better internal aerials and better response from external aerials. My bandwidth almost doubled and the back end admin section alows you to set your NAT Type to Moderate instead of Strict, so gaming is fast and connections are better and more stable.

Just plop your EE sim in and youre aaway with the mixer, happy days.

by johnhird Investigator
Investigator

Best advice I could have got. Cheers.

Bought a Huawei B525 and put the EE router in the bin. What a shame EE can't just offer a fix. It appears to be a big problem with these routers.

by Steve_R Contributor
Contributor

This is the forum for the Wifi mobile router so I will add to it and say you are lucky, I get the battery blue light blinking when it is charging along with the Transmission and Wifi 3 for 3 seconds, never the message light even when there were 2 waiting, then the same 3 lights for 15 seconds when I disconnect it, then nothing at all afterwards. I don't know if it is on or off, if charging is needed as I have never seen a red light even when it has run down. This is the second device swapped out in the shop, as requested by customer services, with the same problem. I get random disconnects when it can't see my device, which one????? as I can't see any of them and I have better things to do than monitor my network all day, I used to get paid a lot of money to do that job, not now and certainly not for free these days. I can't even control the level of access and security that I can and do with my ADSL/Fiber line, this last comment has been raised as a formal complaint, the first part hasn't been raised for the second time, yet.

This sounds like a repeat of the 3 farce when it eventually transpired that an entire container load of dongles all had the same technical issue and it took a letter delivered in person to the MD before that was fixed by a refund and £20 by way of inconvenience, still no solution on training their store staff on consumer rights though, which 3 ignored and who I will never do business with ever again. I do not expect to have to go back to the good old days of the 80's and press the reset button for an hardware/software related issue that I also fixed.

by

Hi @Steve_R

Sorry to hear that you're having problems with your router. I recommend getting in touch with technical support again so that they can investigate this further.

Please let us know how you get on.

Chris

by Steve_R Contributor
Contributor

At the ripe old age of 66 it takes forever to navigate call centre prompts, made annoying by time wasting references to websites especially when I can't get the internet.

I am very technically minded, being an ex systems programmer, hardware and software. telecoms and computer engineer so probably know more than anyone that answers the phone in the technical dept and the prompts have nothing to suggest which dept I will eventually be routed to anyway. KISS is the old maxim but never used these days and I programmed call centre systems. Now if it said technical press 1, simple, but it doesn't. However since you work for EE perhaps you can internally email this to them?. This does however now give me the opportunity to fill out the detail of my complaint, which of course I have not been given a number for, just an acknowledgement of its receipt and could not complete fully, still unexplained, on the form, so here is the saved text that I couldn't post originally, but could do on a chat site, I have done it before and then gone away awaiting a written response without wasting my time waiting got god, that might be a good comedy but proves I have less time to waste.

Quote that I could not submit:

"This is all very confusing so must be in writing. I have just upgraded, a emergency, to a mobile broadband, it included a tablet, as if I don't take enough of them already.

Because my landline supplier made a major error and cut me off until Jan 3rd this is the service I depend upon.

1 -

I have already attempted to complete your very problematic and error prone (5) disability form.

2 -

I find the accounting for the various services disconnected, I cannot find out about my calls, as I used to with Orange, my data usage either online or via the mobile router, I am used to script dumping the logs on my ADSL router, I cannot manage the router and assign static, therefore secure IP addresses to permitted devices.

3 -

My account started on the 14th not the 11th, this may have affected my data usage. It is unclear how data usage is allocated and used, especially around renewal dates. The dates and usage are important as my landline supplier will be getting the bill for it all.

4 -

I want to be able to get into the router to perform my own controls and log data downloads, is there any other login or command path I can use. The whole point with data that is primarily downloaded, in my case I need to know what else besides windows 10 updates and adverts are downloading.

5 -

I lost 2.5Gb in less than an hour last week, I wasn't allowed to buy a further amount so kept checking and all of a sudden it was gone and then I could buy it. I was given a further 2.5 Gb after I called about it, not yet showing anywhere on either the dongle or my account or a £9.00 credit when it renewed.

NOTES;

Having been through some utility failures this year, my broadband supplier discovered I owed them, when after use of my expensive, now very hard concentrating, accountancy skills found the error was exactly the other way round.

My energy supplier went bankrupt on me, I was stuck with a short term one, found that all the switching companies lied when they quote future bills as they exclude VAT from the new one but include it on the old bill, so quoting totally misleading, but approved by Ofgen, savings.

Now my broadband supplier have done it again and cut me off, trying to blame openreach but when informed that I made a phone call to an openreach local line manager friend admitted it was their error. They have managed to go from being the finest opeator to being just as bad as the others.

I detest being lied to, all far too often these days that people think lying is better than the truth and then I find them out and I get very angry, they seem surprised and fail to understand why?, as if they have done nothing wrong, boy have they got a few lessons to learn.

6 -

I have now reconfigured my ADSL router, taking several hours to do so, with a totally new range of IP address standards, since I can't change yours from 192.168.1.1, not withstanding that I want to implement the same security standards I normally use in the future on mobile networks.

I thought I would illustrate what else has occured to me this year so that I will get truthful explanations and hopefully equally successful outcomes to each of the various queries I have raised. I will raise one other positive point and that was in the old days of Orange using an Indian call centre, it was the only one I ever found to actually work and solve problems instantly and those were also the days when I actually got a list of telephone numbers on my bills."

Saying I am frustrated is an understatement, but since I could match, if working internally for EE, with my name to my email address, then all would be easy for someone to investigate. I will say before you reply, don't make the mistake of failing to read my complaint first, as another website and call centre operator did, I humiliated him for his error as he got it totally wrong in failing to engage brain and read first before publicly and wrongly replying around events relating to a recently deceased friend of mine. He took a week off "sick" with stress, poor soul, no sympathy, he was told explicitly to read the email first and didn't, his fault and maybe lesson learned, especially in dealing with me.

by

Thanks for posting more information about your situation, @Steve_R. I wouldn't say 66 is old. Smiley Happy

I've sent you a private message to get some of your information from you,.

Please take a look and get back to me.

Chris

by Steve_R Contributor
Contributor

@Christopher_G wrote:

Thanks for posting more information about your situation, @Steve_R. I wouldn't say 66 is old. Smiley Happy

I've sent you a private message to get some of your information from you,.

Please take a look and get back to me.

Chris

Thanks but to anyone under 25, 30 is already on the way to the grave Smiley Happy

My HA always take controversial suhjects to private messages as well, doesn't mean the answers will remain private though, I will take a look.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions