by Security99 Investigator
Investigator

Problems with internet-access wih 4GEE WiFi Mini

For my recently purchased 4GEE WiFi Mini I bought in Austria from the provider "Hofer Telekom" (HoT) a new SIM-card. I am now in Switzerland and wanted to start up the WiFi Mini. There is no problem to get access with the WiFi Mini to a Switzerland carrier like "Swisscom" or "Sunrise" but I DO NOT GET INTERNET-ACCESS. Of course, roaming is on.

From "Hofer Telekom" I got the Internet APN. Name: HoT Internet; APN: webaut; APN Typ: default; access number: *99#. (No password is used at "Hofer Telekom".) My SIM-card was also checked by "Hofer Telekom" and is ok.

At my WiFi Mini, at "Connection" I made the following settings: Profil Name: Hot Internet; Dial Number: *99#; APN: webaut; User Name: --; Password: --; Protocoll: None

I would be very happy if you could help me to solve my internet-problem

6 REPLIES 6
by
EE Employee

Re: Problems with internet-access wih 4GEE WiFi Mini

Hi and welcome to the community @Security99

Just to clarify did you purchase your device as an unlocked second-hand unit in Austria?

You would need to speak to the network of the SIM card you are trying to use for assistance.

Many thanks,

Lee

Highlighted
Investigator

Hello Lee

Thank you for your answer. I  bought a new device in Germany. It was sold unlocked. Maybe you can see it on the photo.

Do you think my settings on the device are ok?

Thanks

Peter

20180123_151929_1516717733869_resized.jpg

by
EE Employee

Hi @Security99

You would need to speak to the SIM provider you are currently using for full APN details.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

EE devices are not sold new outside the UK. This must be pre-owned device even if it looks new & therefore it is 2nd-hand in your hands.

As it is not working with a non-EE SIM it's probable that it is still locked to EE.

To unlock a 2nd-hand device you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

The device is unlocked but I have still problems to get to the Internet.

Without SIM-card in the device, I made a facorty-reset.

With SIM-card in the device I entered manually the APN. and saved it (via WIFI from my Samsung Smartphone S5)

- Name: HoT Internet (Hofer Telekom provider from Austria)

- APN: webaut

- APN type: default

- Number: *99#

I got connected with Swisscom 3G network (I am in Switzerland)

I tried to get to the internet, but failed.

After that, I spoke to the Hofer TeleKom provider in Austria.

He told me, that there was a short connection over the mobile data to the internet, but without downloading anything from the internet.

Thanks for a good idea to solve my internet-problem

Peter

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Security99,

I'm afraid we are unable to provide technical support for using an EE device with another network SIM.

Thanks

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.