by Esiotrot Investigator
Investigator

Port Forwarding and Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT)

Just opened a new account with EE, so I can access CCTV cameras remotely via a DVR.

All set up and ready to go. I can access the DVR within the local network, using the supplied Netgear Nighthawk M1, so the next stage was to add 7000 and 7001 as the port forwards. Nothing. The GRC site lists both ports as 'stealth'.

Reading other posts, with EE using CGNAT it looks like I am faced with a fatal error,  being that the declared IP address is actually shared with inumerable other uses.

Any thoughts on how to get over this problem?

3 REPLIES 3
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Port Forwarding and Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT)

@Esiotrot: Yes, it is probable that you are up against a limitation of EE's mobile network. The EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB.

Just on the off-chance can you set the APN Protocol to IPv4 only in your router's APN/Profile? This may get round it. I don't understand why this is so.

Does not your CCTV cameras' manufacturer provide a Cloud-based access method that does not require you to address them from outside by your public IP?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Esiotrot Investigator
Investigator

Thank you for responding. I'll have another look at the APN protocol, and see if changes can be made.

The DVR does allow cloud access to an android or iphone via an app called XMEye, which although clunky, is okay for accessing live footage. Trying to play back, then copying clips of an incident is so awkward and unfriendly. The only decent way to do this is physically standing in front of the DVR, but a site visit means a 2 hour round trip - hence wanting remote access.

I guessed that responses would not be positive, and it's really disappointing. On that basis I've already been experimenting with other options.

There's no computer on site, just the router and DVR. It's not elegant, but I have an old netbook which is not being used, and I've set up Anydesk on this. It means leaving the netbook on site, but testing so far seems to suggest that when I access the netbook via Anydesk, I can then look at the DVR using the local network.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.