by weka55 Investigator
Investigator

Pairing 4GEE Mini Box and Galaxy 3.

I have a Samsung Galaxy 3, registered with EE

I bought a new car without a GPS as I was told I could plug the phone into the Touch Screen.

I downloaded Android Auto and it sort of worked with Google Maps for about half a day but then all went blank.

About October 2019 My local EE shop in Kings Heath, Birmingham UK suggested I purchase a 4GEE Wifi mini 2. The Assistant said this would give me more data.

This worked until about mid November when, for a variety of reasons, I stopped driving.

I now want to use it again but am unsure of what I am doing.

My Galaxy seems to be working okay.

I have charged the 4GEE device up. And when I switch it on, all 4 blue indicators light up but after a few seconds they go out.

I go into Settings, WiFi on my phone and it tells me (in blue digits) that I am connected to the 4GEE box  but the screen on the yellow 4GEE box is not lit.

On the same Galaxy WiFi screen, below the 4GEE connected message, it says my Internet Provider, Plus Net is Saved and secured but NOT connected.

1). Does this mean that I have been connected to the internet by the 4GEE box and disconnected from Internet Provider, Plus Net?

2). Does this also mean that any data I am using will be the 4GEE box and not my phone contract?

3). Can I simplify this set up by changing my phone contract to a new contract with say, 5GB of data and discard/return the 4GEE box

All suggestions welcome, not too technical please. Thanks.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor
Solution

Re: Pairing 4GEE Mini Box and Galaxy 3.

Hi @weka55,

I'm not an expert on the 4GEE box however I am not sure why the EE store suggested this to you. You can just purchase another plan with a larger data bundle if you find that you are running out of data each month.

The only time the 4GEE box would be useful in the car is if you have other people that you want to be able to access the internet while you're driving.

I can however help you with your Android Auto issue. When you say it all went blank, what do you mean? Do you mean the screen on your car no longer shows the Android Auto interface, or do you mean that the maps are blank and not showing anything?

Thanks,

Alex

If I solved your issue, please click the 'solved' button below to help others!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Prodigious Contributor
Solution

Hi @weka55,

I'm not an expert on the 4GEE box however I am not sure why the EE store suggested this to you. You can just purchase another plan with a larger data bundle if you find that you are running out of data each month.

The only time the 4GEE box would be useful in the car is if you have other people that you want to be able to access the internet while you're driving.

I can however help you with your Android Auto issue. When you say it all went blank, what do you mean? Do you mean the screen on your car no longer shows the Android Auto interface, or do you mean that the maps are blank and not showing anything?

Thanks,

Alex

View solution in original post

by weka55 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Alex,
Thanks for the reply.
1). The ‘blank’ event was sometime in mid November and I was driving all over the UK in a bit of a panic situation. Not good. However I think that the Google Map ‘froze’ in one position. Not a big problem at the time as I knew the way home. But I lost confidence in the device.
2) Your comment re upgrade the data allowance makes sense as I have checked with friends who use Google maps and they, mostly, have a max 5 or 6 GB of Data and it’s cheaper than the 4GEE let alone the Phone. Could be a bit of a rip off. But there you go. Don’t buy things when your life is in a panic!

I will get in touch with EE and explain the position; maybe they will come up with a solution. Don’t really want to change too much at present. I’ll keep you updated,

Thanks, Happy New Year,
Chris
Prodigious Contributor

No problem@weka55 !

If the map just froze then it was most likely that there was a service issue in the area that you were travelling in, or you ran out of data on your current plan. I am not sure how much data you have currently however I would always suggest a minimum of 5GB if you're using it daily for Android Auto etc.

Happy new year to you too!

Alex

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@weka55 :

1. Yes. It has just remembered your PN router's WiFi creds but is not using it.
  2. Yes. You phone is using its WiFi connection to the mobile BB router which in turn is using EE mobile data thro' its SIM. Therefore your phone is not using its SIM & mobile data.
  3. Need more info. What plan is your phone on? Is it on contract or PAYG? What plan is your MBB router on? Is it on contract or PAYG?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by weka55 Investigator
Investigator

Hi again,

Thanks for the info. I've had a couple of replies and putting everything together, it makes some sense (to a non-tech person). Don't know what BB means but generally my first two questions have satisfactory answers. The answers to the third question lead me to contact EE and try to negotiate some kind of extra data plan and cancel the Mobile WiFi.

Only problem now is that during all this, I have collected about 4 new passwords/codes and am unsure of which is which. Further complicated by what seems to be different passwords when using mobile or PC. All a bit crazy. However, I think I'm slowly getting there.

Thanks for you time and help😎

Prodigious Contributor

The 'BB' that @XRaySpeX is referring to is short for Broadband 😊

Hope you get it sorted!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.