by kar999 Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Osprey overheating and buldging - Fire Risk?

My EE Osprey Mifi (Original Alcatel 855Y not the 2 or mi) has started running very hot, so much so that it is buldging out of shape forcing the front panel away from the unit.

I am increasing worried it has now become a serious fire risk. It is placed on an upstairs bedroom window sill (with curtains not too far away) to gain best signal strength.

Please see photos below. The unit is just over a couple of years old and is otherwise functioning normally. I've just upgraded to a 24 months data SIM contract so need a reliable EE Mifi.

I would greatly appreciate any views and comments on this matter as it is giving me some serious concern. 

IMG_20180510_130224810.jpgPanel being forced off

IMG_20180510_125032477_HDR.jpgBuldge from overheating.

IMG_20180510_124803067.jpg

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Employee
Solution

Re: Osprey overheating and buldging - Fire Risk?

Hi @kar999 and welcome to the community.

I have sent you a private message on here, so I can get some details from you.

Thanks,

Lee

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@kar999  The  bulging of the device is the battery inside the device that is expanding.  Do not use this device any more it’s now a risk to use.  You need to call customer services about this.  You might be given a new device in exchange for this but do not count on it as it out of warranty but the battery is a major issue in your device and should not be used any more.   

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @kar999

As @Chris_B says, but I would take it into EE. If the battery is in the condition you say then its not legal to post as its a fire risk, unless EE pick it up in a special box via DPD

Thanks,  

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the unit is outside warranty but would have expected it to have a life longer than 2 years and then not become a potential fire hazzard,

I was considering taking it into an EE store but was concerned that I will just be given the runaround.

Unless an EE rep contacts me on here I will try ringing CS to get their views.

Meantime I will dig out my old 3G Mifi but I think that may be locked to Three.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@kar999  The battery should last longer than 2 years but it will depend on how many times you’ve charged the unit and you say you keep it on a window sill and I have to ask is the sun at any time of the day beating down through this window?  If it is than you probably find that that is the cause of the issue as you’ve exposed unit to extreme heat at some point or another. 

by
EE Employee
Solution

Hi @kar999 and welcome to the community.

I have sent you a private message on here, so I can get some details from you.

Thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

The window sill does get some sun but the unit is positioned such that it is not directly in the sun. It's a deep sill on a 300yr old cottage with deep thick walls and sills, hence the need to position the Mifi thus to get optimum 4G signal. 

ADSL/Fibre is poor so I have a data contract and it is used almost 24/7 and charged over night, It tends to get the hottest when running off battery power alone rather than with Wifi being used whilst charging. The battery still hold its charge very well lasting at least all day.

Valued Contributor

Many thanks to Pete from EE for his assistance in this matter. I have now stopped using the Osprey and have replaced it with a mains based solution being a TP-Link Archer MR200 found half price at Maplins in their closing down sale.

The Osprey has now been retired from service, marked as faulty and consigned to that infamous drawer for "emergencies" along with the rest of my old mobile phones, chargers, and other outdated electrical stuff!

by
EE Employee

Hi @kar999

I'm glad you are now sorted 🙂

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.