by simonwait Investigator
Investigator

Netgear Nighthawk M1 Data Offloading and Ethernet Port

Hi Im out in the US at the moment and hammering the data on my M1.  Just realised there is a wired network here in the apparartment so i was going to hook it to the RJ45 on the M1 and use data offloading to reduce my bills a little.

Ive plugged the cable into the ethernet port but neither the M1 or the access point its plugged into seem to have activity lights.  In the portal page for the M1 it says its not connected.  Ive tried several cables and plugging in other devices into the access point gives me activity lights on there and intenet to the device so i know that works.  Plugging the M1 into the RJ45 on a laptop shows no connection between the two either.

Ive flashed the latest firmware.

Do i just have a faulty unit or is there something im missing here?

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Netgear Nighthawk M1 Data Offloading and Ethernet Port

Looks like you're trying to connect 2 routers to each other & they are getting confused. You probably have DCHP & NAT clashing.

The Ethernet port on the Netgear is designed to connect to clients not the other way round.

Why haven't you just connected the device you were using with the Netgear straight into the network port in the wall?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Hi sorry for the late reply oddly enough i had internet issues!

So the setup is that i have 2 machines one has an rj45 and the other doesnt which is why i was trying to get this to work.  i used the one with the rj45 for troubleshooting.  Following you comment about connecting it to clients I tried connecting it to a tv with an ethernet port but that didnt seem to do anything either.  I then tried it on an accesspoint which had an integrated switch ut made sure the wan wasnt connected to the access point so to not get any clashing...again nothing.  So basically nothing which gets connected to the RJ45 on the nighthawk makes anything light up either on the device or on the nighthawk.  this is what i find strange - surely i should get link lights on something?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

When you connected the TV to the Netgear did you check in the Netgear whether it showed the TV as a connected device? Did you look at the TV's Network Status? Did you try to run apps on the TV. I wouldn't be led by any LEDs; I'd rather see it in words.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Hi -  Yes the tv didnt show anything connected and the Netgear Mobile app on my phone showed Ethernet as disconnected.  Also surely if this is only intended to connect to non-wireless equipment giving them internet then what is all the documentation and references to data offloading on portal page and app for?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @simonwait,

Thanks for visiting the EE Community.

Could you use the device with Ethernet as a wireless access point for the WiFi only device?

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What "all the documentation and references to data offloading on portal page and app"?

If I were testing the connection of a TV to a router I'd only be looking at those 2 devices. Why does a mobile app come into it?

Did the Netgear show any sign of the TV being a connected device?

Investigator

The mobile app is the Netgear app used to manage the M1.  As there is nothing showing on either the TV physically, within its menu or on the M1 either through its RJ45 link lights or the display on the unit I thought this was the best way to confirm there is no activity on this port.  Incidentally, it is also the same result on the portal page when using the M1 IP address. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sierrawireless.mhswatcher&hl=en

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.