by Prihel Contributor
Contributor

MIFI box roaming

Hi

I have a 4GEE mini box, on a MAX plan, with EU roaming. I previously tried to use the box in the EU a few months ago and it didn't work - I contacted customer support, who after referring to level 2, confirmed that it will not work outside the UK as the box just isn't designed to.

Can anyone confirm whether it will now work in the EU post June roaming charges abolition? I'm not sure exactly why it wouldn't work before - something to do with no landing page available (but the level 2 advice was a little vague), but perhaps something has now changed?

25 REPLIES 25
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: MIFI box roaming

@Prihel. It should of worked first time as you can use these abroad.    You just need to enable roaming on the account for it to work abroad. 

by Prihel Contributor
Contributor

Ok because two sets of Level 2 referrals told me I couldn't...It's not an "Osprey", its the newer 4GEE mini box. 

I rang up to activate roaming (on the data SIM, the phone SIM works fine) at the time, but they couldn't as there's no landing page on the device from which to add the data add on (or something like that). Now I assume there is no need for an add on, I'd like to know if it will work. 

by
EE Employee

by Prihel Contributor
Contributor

Hi

you say it will only work in EU and Asia - my post above is looking at the EU. So can you confirm that it will definitely work in the EU - given that it didn't (confirmed by tech support) before the roaming changes. Do I need to ring customer service again and try to activate?

by
EE Employee

Hi @Prihel

As long as the bands are supported in the country you are travelling to, it should work.

Please below for supporting bands:

Band 1, 3, 7, 8, 20 (2600/2100/1800/900/800 MHz), TDD: Band 38 (2600 MHz)

Many thanks,

Lee

by Prihel Contributor
Contributor

Hi

These are all supported in Portugual and it didn't work last time. The
problem is that you can't activate roaming on the data sim in the box -
customer service couldn't do it - the landing page to add add-ons doesn't
appear via the device. I don't think it has anything to do with the
hardware on the box.
by
EE Employee

Hi @Prihel

Just to confirm, did you try to use your max SIM in the device or a separate SIM?

by Prihel Contributor
Contributor

The one that came with the box. It's a shared plan - a phone and a box on a
4GEE max plan.
by
EE Employee

Hi @Prihel

Please see the below sharer information:

Many thanks,

Lee

by Prihel Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Yes I know this - but it doesn't work. Hence my post! I've just tried texting 150 from the box saying ROAMING, but I get a text back saying it can't be activated right now. 

The simple fact remains that roaming does not seem to be able to be activated on data sims in the MIFI box. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @Prihel

Are you currently overseas?

Please dial 150 from your device and ask for the account to be activated via an agent rather than use the self serve system.

Many thanks,

Lee

by bagpuss1974 Investigator
Investigator

Did anyone ever get a resolution to this? I'm having exactly the same problem. I was even told by 'tech support' to login to the routers 'homepage' and simply enable roaming!! Nice try but the connection status says Roaming:No 

and it can't be changed. Roaming is setup on my account and the device was sold to me purely because it was for use abroad. I will be very unhappy if the device is unable to be used for the express purpose for which I bought it!! 

by Prihel Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Unfortunately yes you can't use it abroad - even after the roaming changes. But no-one except Level 2 customer support seems to know this - hence all the erroneous "help" on the forums. Apparantly the box just isn't designed to work abroad - there's no "landing page" (?) from which to turn on roaming.

We didnt bother taking it back, but yes, we bought it for the same reason...

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @bagpuss1974 and @Prihel

Thanks you both both for posting 🙂

@Prihel I can see you have discussed this here before?

@Bagpuss have you discussed this further with technical level 2?

Thank you

Richard

🙂

Investigator

Hi

yes I have discussed this with level 2. It was they that told me I could enable roaming myself by going onto the mifi 'home' page. Obviously this is not correct and I still cannot use the device for roaming

by

Thank you @bagpuss1974

@Prihel did you have any success with this?

Richard

🙂

by Prihel Contributor
Contributor

Hi

No - as above there's no way to "turn on roaming". You can't set it up before you go away - tried myself, and also calling customer services (who couldn't do it either, hence the referral to Level 2). You can't do it abroad as there's no service to connect to (also called customer services from there too). You can't add a roaming add-on as there's no facility to arrive at the appropriate landing page.

I also tried post June roaming changes in Portugal, and the same thing. I looked on the networks list within the box, and it can "see" all the networks fine - it just wont allow me to connect.

It would seem that there is significant confusion within EE as to the capabilities of the MIFI box, but a quick trawl through these forums suggests there are a fair few who want to use the box abroad and no-one has been able to. If there is a magic ticket solution, perhaps someone can screen shot where we're all going wrong.

by

Thanks for the detailed and prompt reply @Prihel

@bagpuss1974 I would advise to speak with customer services again to see if they can find a solution to your needs.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

Investigator

I have spoken to customer services twice who were unable to resolve the matter. I have also spoken to both tech support and level 2 tech support and they too were unable to assist. Surely someone within an organisation such as EE has the answer to why this device cannot roam abroad when it can connect to the local network

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.