by MiloCohen Investigator
Investigator

LAN connection to wired network

Hi,

I have taken delivery of new 4GEE Router (HH70VB).  Wifi reception is working fine with improved speeds over the old 4GEE Router.  However I also have a wired network in the house which is distributed via Cat V cabling using a switch.  In the old router i used an ethernet cable to connect from the single LAN port to my switch, and wired internet connection was instant.  

With the new router there are two LAN ports (LAn1/WLAN & LAN2).  I have tried a similar connection using the ethernet cable but i cannot get internet access into my wired network.  Is there a specific setup i need to change in the Config screen to allow the internet connectivity to be fed into my network?  As an aside i also noted that WiFi connection ceased when i connected the ethernet cable to the LAN port - not sure if that is connected at all.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor
Solution

Re: LAN connection to wired network

It could be switch at fault, fully power it off for 39 seconds then back on. 

Try different ports or if possible try different switch. 

13 REPLIES 13
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@MiloCohen: You may find that the 2 routers are running diff DHCP ranges & you may have to put them on the same subnet.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Great - I think that could be it. Today I ran the LAN connection into back of my PC and no problems at all. So the issue is when I introduce the switch. I have a TP Link SF1048. The router LAN config is DHCP with range of 1.100 to 1.250. Subnet I think is fine. EE thought my switch ran on a different gateway extension. Would you happen to know what range I should use and whether I need to change the gateway IP too?  If I do the latter along with changing the start and end IP range, does it affect anything else?  Appreciate your help. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Assuming the router's gateway IP = 192.168.1.1, I should make the switch's gateway IP = 192.168.1.2 & reserve it in the MBB router. Make its DHCP range 192.168.1.10 - 99 or share them out as you wish.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Apologies as I have misunderstood how my Ethernet switch works. It is a plug and play 48 port switch with no need for configuration. So this puts me back at square 1. 

When i plug the 4gee router directly into the switch via either of the 2 LAN ports from the router, not only is there no internet connectivity but also the routers own wifi no longer has connectivity. When I disconnect from the switch the router WiFi connectivity is restored. Similarly when I plug the LAN cable direct into my PC, circumventing the switch, connectivity is restored both over wifi and on the PC. 

I have disconnected all WiFi extenders which were attached to the switch so no conflict there either. 

Logic tells me it’s something to do with the router config when connecting to the switch. But I am at the limit of my tech knowledge so all comments welcome. Appreciate the help so far. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Looking at a coupla PCs behind the switch, what are their IPs reported as by the commend ipconfig /all ? In fact, post one of them, obscuring your names & MACs.

Investigator

Ipconfig ipv4 address is 169.254.148.224
Subnet is 255.255.0.0 (this matches the 4gee router)

Hope that helps. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

On more than 1 PC at once?

Can you post a whole ipconfig?

Investigator

That’s it. I only have 1 PC connected to the switch plus 3 WiFi extenders around the property. It’s a domestic set up, with many handheld / wireless devices plus the pc.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

169 means can't see dhcp server (router) to obtain ip address.

Bypass your switch and see what ip you get on your PC? 

If you have your old router, connect this and setup in original configuration and check ip.

Do u get same first 3 nodes (ie 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.0.xxx). If they are same you shouldn't really have an issue. If different then it would suggest you are running as a managed switch and the ip is static thus reason for problem. 

To fix is simple, take note of gateway then connect back to new router with PC connected directly. Access its config page, change the lan settings to same as old router. 

The other fix is while connected to old router ping the gateway, then run arp -a or netstat -r. You will need to locate which device is switch, then connect to it and change ip to be on same subnet as new router. 

Not sure why running a 48port managed switch as would expect someone to have network knowledge if running that setup.

But if you need more advice let me know.

Update: just found manual and this is not a managed switch so should not be blocking access.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The TP Link SF1048 is an unmanaged switch & it can't be configured as it's an unmanaged switch.

Sounds like the devices behind the switch can't see the DHCP of the router. Router could be faulty.

EE MBB routers, old & new, have the same gateways & IP ranges.

Not sure why running a 4-port switch that there is only 1 PC behind it. Are there only 4 of the 48 ports being used?

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor
Solution

It could be switch at fault, fully power it off for 39 seconds then back on. 

Try different ports or if possible try different switch. 

Investigator

Amazing how simple the solution could be. I had rebooted it before but only for a few seconds. I switched it off for a full minute and everything is back working. IP address now in the DHCP range of the router. 

Thanks everyone for your help. Got there in the end. 

Ps I use 14 of the 48 ports. One is for the PC and others are for in house wired Entertainment across different zones plus WiFi extenders. 

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Glad u got it working, unlike hubs the switch has a cache and learns which device is plugged into which port, so they only need to send to relevant port instead of all.

Usually a power off for at least 30 seconds usually resolves this. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.