by Al-K Investigator
Investigator

I don't understand what the 4GEE wifi mini does...?

Just got a new phone and the 4GEE mini wifi came with it, but I just don't understand what it does....?

Can I connect to wifi where I have no 3G/4G signal (which is what they said in the shop but leaflet seems to suggest otherwise)?

If not, what is the purpose? I have perfectly good wifi at home and if I'm out and about and have 4G I can access the internet anyway so why use this when the data still comes off my allowance?

Any guidance from someone more tech savvie appreciated! Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Employee
Solution

Re: I don't understand what the 4GEE wifi mini does...?

Hi @AI-K

It does sound like you have been mis sold, please send me a private message with details of the sale and some contact details and I will get someone from the retail team to take a look at this.

Many thanks,

Lee

33 REPLIES 33
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @Al-K yes 4GEE WiFi is mobile broadband. You can use it when your fixed BB is not working or out and about where there is no WiFi. It uses the EE 3G/4G network to provide a connection instead. Here is a link containing more information and to help you get started using your 4GEE WiFi device. :):

http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/broadband-gallery-mobile-broadband/mobile-broadband

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Mobile BB is not much use when you just have a single phone, as it will use exactly the same mobile signal to get the Net.

It's really for when you have PCs & lappys at home & you have no BB router there. So it provides a WiFi router for all your home devices. Also for taking a lappy out-and-about where you can find no WiFi hotspot.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Hi @Al-K and welcome to the community.

So I can try and assist, how was the device offered to you in store?

Many thanks.

Lee

by Al-K Investigator
Investigator

Hi Lee

It wasn't something I was looking for, it was offered to me in a package:

I asked what it was and they described it is a personal wifi hotspot.

I asked if that meant I could get wifi for example on a train with no signal or middle of the countryside. They said yes. That does not now appear to be the case?

If it did the above it would be very helpful. If not I don't understand its purpose..... if I have a 4g reception anyway and this will use my  data allowance, what is the point of it? I can't think of how it is of any practical use to me?

thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master

As I said earlier it will be of no use to you if you only have a phone with you on the train or countryside with no WiFi but if you had a lappy with you, you could use the lappy connected to the MBB device providing you still had a mobile signal. Yes, it will still use your data allowance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Hi @Al-K

Which store was it that you purchased the device from?

Many thanks,

Lee

by Al-K Investigator
Investigator

Thanks all, understand it's purpose now.

Le, it was Oxford Street (near Bond St station).  Any way to return and remove from the contract as it is clearly of no use to me and not what I thought I was getting? Thanks

by
EE Employee
Solution

Hi @AI-K

It does sound like you have been mis sold, please send me a private message with details of the sale and some contact details and I will get someone from the retail team to take a look at this.

Many thanks,

Lee

by SteveH1 Investigator
Investigator

This has also happened to me. When  I renewed my contract in store and I was asked about my current home wifi I told them I have fast Virgin broadband and can use their hotspots all over UK. However I was told I was being given a free 4gee wifi mini. I had to sign 2 contracts with minute print I could barely read and now realise that the second contract was for additional monthly charges for the 4gee mini (which I obviously don't need). Not happy.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@SteveH1: You were mis-sold. The "free 4gee wifi mini" isn't really free. The box itself might be but you also signed up for a paid-for monthly airtime contract.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @SteveH1

Thank you for coming to community.

Can you please confirm the following information.

Name and Location of Store you purchased this in?

Thanks

Richard

by SteveH1 Investigator
Investigator

Stratford east London.

by

Hi @SteveH1

I've sent you a private message to get some further information.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

by SteveH1 Investigator
Investigator

A big thank you to EE.  Having been mis-sold the 4Gee mini I had help from the Forum and they contacted the EE store I purchsed it from , and today they were quite happy for me to return the 4Gee and they cancelled the contract for it. They dealt with this in a friendly and proffessional manner - no quibbles. So credit where it's due.

SteveH1

by

Thanks for coming back to confirm everything is sorted, @SteveH1.

I'm glad we were able to help. 🙂

I'll pass your thanks on to @Richard_C.

Chris

by SarahK75
Explorer

My husband has been similarly stitched up. He's not the most technologically minded and went into an EE shop today as he was due an upgrade. He explained he didn't want to pay more than he was currently paying. I wasn't with him and I've just checked the paperwork and what they've done is sold him a handset with a contract that is £10 less a month but included a wifi mini for an extra  £9.45 a month. They told him the Wi-Fi mini was free! He tells me that he said to them repeatedly that he didn't want to pay for it and they assured him it's free.

He doesn't even use 1gb of data of month and from what I can see he's  paying  £9.45 for an additional 4gb! Of course the small print tells you that you can't change your mind.

I'm disgusted quite frankly. I wish my contract with EE was due for renewal because I'd cancel it.

by

Hi @SarahK75

Welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel your husbands contract wasn't sold correctly.

Have you discussed this with the store in question yet?

If you haven't, I recommend popping in. I'm sure they will be able to investigate that for you.

Please let us know what happens.

Chris

by SarahK75
Explorer

Thanks Chris, I'll try and will let you know .

Sarah

by Vicky9 Investigator
Investigator

This happened to me to! When I needed a new phone I paid the remaining balance off my contract to start a new contract told them I didn't want to pay any more then what I had been i was told that this package came with the mini wifi box and I would be paying the same amount but now I know im actually paying for this on a separate contract each month which I don't use as I have no use for it as I also have data in my phone contract and ee wifi at home. So now I'm left paying for something I don't need I have more Internet data then I know what to do with

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.