by Bigmeat Investigator
Investigator

Help needed for Wired Internet connection

Please excuse my ignorance. 

My son has a Gourmet Burger restaurant. Last week it was targeted in an attack designed to put him out of business. 

I've bought him a CCTV system which requires a wired connection. 

He currently has the small yellow 4GEE mini which he uses to stream Sportify, & to connect their ordering & payment system to the Internet.

I know absolutely nothing about this stuff. How can I give him a wired connection whilst still giving him wifi etc.?

The shop has no phone line, & is empty when it's closed, so the ability for the CCTV to send updates to his phone via the Internet is essential.

I've been recommended the Netgear Nighthawk M1 but it's a little pricey for me after spending over £500 on the cameras & the monthly payments on either the 30 day rolling contract or the 24 month contract are way more than he's currently paying. 

Cost is a major issue, he has very restrictive insurance that is only partly covering the repairs to his shop, so I'm looking for suggestions that are cost effective but also easy to set up.

Please help, he's desperate & considering giving up on the business he's put his heart & soul into for the last 2 years.

TIA

8 REPLIES 8
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Help needed for Wired Internet connection

Hi @Bigmeat

Welcome to the community, I'm sorry to hear about your son's restaurant.

Our 4GEE Home Router has an ethernet port, meaning you should be able to wire it to your CCTV kit.

There are a few different plans to choose from on there.

Chris

by Bigmeat Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the reply.

Does the Home router require a phone line? The shop doesn't have one.

Are there any plans for around £20 pm?

He currently pays less than £20pm & would be unable to afford £40+ pm

by

No problem at all, @Bigmeat. 🙂

It doesn't require a phone line, it runs off our 4G network (mobile data).

You can see all of the available plans on this shop page.

Chris

by Bigmeat Investigator
Investigator

I must admit the product does look ideal, however it's just way too expensive. As I say he currently pays around £18pm and even then doesn't use all of his allowance, which I think is about 20gb.

100gb is overkill and just wouldn't get used.

Is there anything else other than the Netgear Nighthawk M1 that is a more reasonable price with smaller monthly payments?

by

Not with the wired capability (that I'm aware of), @Bigmeat.

It may be worth speaking to our sales team on 0800 956 6000 to see if there is anything they can offer.

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Are you sure the CCTV system only requires a wired connection? Most will operate over WiFi. Which CCTV system is it?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Bigmeat Investigator
Investigator

I'm pretty sure its wored only. It would be good if it can do both though...

https://www.swann.com/uk/swdvk-845804

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You're right. It looks like it is wired only incl. the cameras.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.